News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting a DC loco to DCC

Started by rtb, November 22, 2015, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtb

I would like detailed instructions on how to convert a Bachmann DC loco to DCC with sound.

Thanks
Ron

bapguy

What model?  There might be videos out there on you tube. Google installing a sound decoder on an HO scale Bachmann XXXX(Model).        Joe

rtb

I am not sure of the model. It is an Alaska RR diesel which was sold as the Mckinley Explorer set.
Ron

Hunt

Locomotive model include in that train set is an EMD GP40. Now what scale do you have N or HO?

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on November 22, 2015, 09:58:22 AM
Locomotive model included in that train set is an EMD GP40. Now what scale do you have N or HO?
Yes, I see you posted in the HO board but questions are too often posted in the wrong scale board.

Hunt

rtb,

If your GP40  locomotive is HO scale, then the link Yardmaster gave to the install of a sound decoder and speaker in a Bachmann HO GP7 will give you a basic idea of what is involve. However, there is lots more involved with the GP40, for starters, there is not the pre-indented speaker holes or the speaker enclosure as shown in the GP7.

It will be time and cost effective for you, particularly if you have never done a DCC decoder installation, to purchase a GP40 Sound Value equipped locomotive.  Shop around for best prices for what you will have to buy  and compare to Click Here

rtb

bapguy

This video is for a GP38. I think it has a similar frame as the GP40. Take of the fuel tank to see if there is room for a speaker in it. That way you wont have to mill the frame.  Joe

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/GP40-GP40X-GP40-2-Locomotives-HO-Scale-s/1568.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=1568&show=30&page=1&brand=Bachmann

electrical whiz kid

Changing any HO locomotive-with the exception of some very ancient models-is not a difficult task.  The biggest obstacle I have seen is the old Pittman open-frame motors. 
If you read the instructions germane to the decoder, use some common sense-AND have developed some knowable  proficiency in this area, you shouldn't have any problems to speak of.  IF you are shy any of the aforementioned, then do NOT proceed; lest you have a strong desire to waste time and money.  Find someone who can do the job for you.

Rich C.