News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can my engines run smoother?

Started by drt7uk, December 27, 2015, 11:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drt7uk

Hi everyone,

I've got Bachmann's Santa Fe F7A + B units and they are a bit jerky when I first operate them. They also sometimes slip reversing the cars back into the siding. Apart from that, they run fine - it's just the shunting in and out of the siding that gives me a problem.

I've not had them long, but all my other trains are Kato. In comparison, they run smoothly every time.

Any suggestions what it might be? I've tried adding a (tiny) bit of oil, but it hasn't made much difference. Would getting rubber tyres for some of the wheels help?

Or is it just these aren't the smoothest runners?

Would welcome people's thoughts.

Thanks a lot,

David

Here is the product; http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-81259

RGW

How much run time do they have? some engine need a hour or two of running to break then in. If they are new may be let just the engines run 1/2 hour forward then backwards.  For the second question is there lube on the wheels and or track? Over lubing engine will cause slipping. Some engine come from the factory with too much lubrication.

A easy way to clean wheels is put a paper towel on the track and put a little rubbing alcohol on it with only one truck on the towel put power to the engine and hold it in place and let the wheels spin,then move the towel to a clean spot and repeat with the other truck.

brokemoto

Are they the latest issue with DCC onboard?  ............or are they older SPECTRUM?   ...or, ne di sinant, are they PLUS?

If the first, try breaking them in.   If they are the second, they require extra breaking in, but they are allright.   If the last, you will always have problems.

James in FL

Hi drt7uk,

To where and to what, did you add a tiny bit of oil?

There is a marked difference, in manufacturing tolerances and quality assurance, between Kato and Bachmann diesels.
To expect that one would perform as the other does is unrealistic.