News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Motor problem

Started by Robertrabbit, December 06, 2015, 11:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertrabbit

The plastic on one end of the motor seems to have disintegrated and became a crumbly mess of pieces.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
What is the best action to take to get this repaired, or replaced.
Thank you
Bob H.

jbrock27

I have not.  Is this one end of the motor, the black plastic?  Is this why you were looking for instructions?  Sounds like this loco was stored in an inhospitable (hot) environment.  Did you buy it on Ebay??

My advice, look for a 1) a replacement motor (whole) from anywhere of your choosing (I have seen several B-mann ones listed on Ebay recently 2) look for a replacement motor through Micro Mark   3) if cheaper, buy a Bachmann loco with a similar motor and cannibalize it for the motor.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress :).   
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Or, is this the cup that sits on the motor shaft that connects to a dog-bone which connects to a truck tower to drive the wheels?
Or, one of the plastic parts on the truck tower itself?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Take Brock's advice:  Buy a replacement motor.  Pretty much any run-of-the-mill motor isn't worth fiddling around with, unless you want to do just that.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Thank you for the kudos Rich :)
After I gave my first response, I gave it more thought and just wanted to be sure from Roger Rabbit we had a complete understanding of what he was referring to, this way he did not do something he did not need to have to do. 

So, RR, I would ask that you confirm for us that we correctly understand your problem and provide a response.

Thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Robertrabbit

The motor has two fly wheels, and according to the parts list picture the motor has been capped with plastic at both ends.

Robertrabbit

I just bought the model Saturday morning at a train show in Melbourne Fla.
In the box Bachmann Spectrum, how old is this model????

jbrock27

This is one reason why I have said here several times over, not a fan of buying at train shows, for this very reason; you're home, find there is a problem and no recourse or consumer protection.  You paid cash right RR?

Still a few gaps here in the info you are providing my man in order to be of best help to you:

-So, is it one of the caps at one end that is a crumbly piece of mess?
     -To answer your question about age, you need to provide more information on what model you are referring to; a Spectrum what?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Robertrabbit

It says on the box Bachmann Spectrum Item # 11506 HO EMD GP35 Diesel Conrail # 2271.
That is all I have to go by.
Hope this helps.
If you go to the parts list for GP35, second page at the bottom is a picture of the motor.
I assume you have access to that.
Thank you
Bob H.

jbrock27

Don't use green, it doesn't show well and is difficult to read.  Difficulty does not lend itself to your getting help.

Sorry, didn't know the GP35 you were mentioning in your other threads, was the same loco you were asking about in this thread, how silly of me...

Yea, I have access to the parts diagram; I can also find it here or on "hoseeker" like I provided to you previously, w/o having to have someone tell me where to find it.

You have for some reason, still managed to avoid confirming what crumbly piece you have.  What's the scoop?

Regarding age, don't have any ideas for you. You'd have to attempt for yourself to do some research and/or hope someone chimes in with when the last time a Spectrum GP35 was made (if they have stopped making them).  I can say this, the guts gotta be similar to the Bachmann Plus GP35s they made from '92-'96.  Don't know if that helps you with what you are looking for, but that's what I know.   BTW, why is knowing this important?
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Had a few of those Bachmann plus gp 35's and had seen the Spectrum gp 35 and always wondered what the differance was between the two of the besides the box and the color of the motor.Back in the 90's they both had all the same details,but the paint and finishing on the Spectrum was better .Both were of course split frame design and had bronze contact wheel pickups with loops that contacted the frame halves .if the plastic insulating cap that is on one end of the motor is deteriorated it would still run ,but be possibly noisy.IF it is the plastic motor half that contains the brushes and the outer bearing and it is deteriorated then you need to replace the motor .Check the parts catalog on this site .There is very good reference and item photos that will get you in the right direction.
Johnny Adam

Desertdweller

"Crumbly plastic" may be an indication that someone lubed the motor with an oil that was not plastic-compatible.  Better check other places (like the opposite end of the motor) for signs of deterioration.

Les

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on December 08, 2015, 11:01:53 AM
IF it is the plastic motor half that contains the brushes and the outer bearing and it is deteriorated then you need to replace the motor .
Johnny Adam

Pure genius.

From 2 whole days ago:

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 06, 2015, 12:40:11 PM
My advice, look for a 1) a replacement motor (whole) from anywhere of your choosing (I have seen several B-mann ones listed on Ebay recently 2) look for a replacement motor through Micro Mark   3) if cheaper, buy a Bachmann loco with a similar motor and cannibalize it for the motor.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress :).   

Sadly, the OP has refused to confirm what part exactly he is referring to, but he really likes the use colors when posting ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Les, since he said he bought it at a train show in Melbourne, FL, I am going to go out on a limb and say the coastal FL air had something to do with this-possible corrosion on metal or as I had hinted at initially, stored in a really hot environment.  While I have read about it, I have luckily never seen plastic demolished by improper lube.  I have seen track ties warped on track coming out of AZ, so much it put the track outta gauge.
Keep Calm and Carry On