News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ole track difficulties

Started by billgiannelli, December 13, 2015, 03:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

so my first adventure with flex track is not going well.
I plan on mixing flex track with easy track.
I have one section with approx 1/4 of a 22 inch curve into 18 inch straight into 1/2 a 22 inch curve.
I had decided to solder the lengths of flex track need for the full section (90 inches)
But when I tried to curve the track the rail popped away from the ties.
What are the proper and easy steps to lay down flex track?
Should I just work with the 36 inch sections?
thanks
Bill

billgiannelli

I meant to say 18 inch radius curves not 22 inch....

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

bill,
did you solder more than two sections together before you bent them? if so, that is why it didn't work. on flextrack one of the rails must be able to slide through the ties.

try soldering only two sections together, then laying the track and adding the third section after you have the first two down. if possible, try to get the joint between the second and third section on a straightaway.

one thing I rarely see done is staggering the joints on flex track. when I used it I did this all the time. since one rail can slide, when you bend the track the sliding rail will be either shorter or longer than the other rail. if it is longer you can thread that rail into the tie strip of the next section, if it is shorter you can slide the rail from the next section into the tie strip of the track you already have down. whichever you do, trim the molded on spikes away from the area where the two rails meet, and insert a rail joiner there.

especially on curves, not having both rail joints across from each other will help keep the track from shifting and kinking.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA