News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis DDC issue

Started by Striker1945, December 08, 2015, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1945

Hey all,

I've been using the basic Bachmann Dynamis DCC system for well over a year now and have been loving every minute of it.
I got home for winter break yesterday and went to run trains this morning.
When I turned on my dynamis handset all the icons on the screen lit up and it would not move from there.
I figured my batteries were dead and so I went and replace the batteries and tried again, but that failed too.
I thought maybe unplugging the control box would do something, but that also failed.
I've tried looking this issue up online, but have found nothing.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could provide even a modicum of assistance here!!!

Thanks,
-Striker

brokenrail

Are they exposed to moisture or been dropped.Sometimes the solder joints crack since they no longer use leaded solder .When the handheld screen does this,,,  are the lights on steady or flashing fast on the base unit?
Johnny Adam

Hunt

Remove all batteries.  Use a bright light and if necessary magnification inspect both battery compartments for battery acid corrosion and other damage. Install new heavy duty batteries watching as sometimes the connectors do not seat properly against the battery poles.

Striker1945

The lights on the base unit produce a steady flicker, but no distinct flashing.
And what does "heavy duty batteries" consist of?

brokenrail

The lights flickering state that you do not have a connection to the handset.Try a good new set of batteries.These things are strange like that.I  use rechargeable  IF i try to cheat with a quick charge the handset has some issues with connection and sometimes does some strange things.Hunts idea is a good check to do .Ihave had mine completely torn down ,it is pretty simple 4 screws removed will get you in .The screen just sits in place on the circuit board.If something gets spilled on it or moisture in the connection to the screen it will be a problem the wayy it connects to the board with dozens of contact points that could be easily interrupted with dirt,by dropping or moisture..

Hunt

The indicator LEDs located within the receiver
   Left hand - constant on indicating power to Command Station
   Right hand - flashes on receipt of Handset signals
   Left hand flashes when STOP pressed or there is short circuit on track
   Left hand and Right hand both flash rapidly when handset not detected

brokenrail

Hunt you the the Man. I also learned dealing with a communication issue between the base and the handheld that if you unplug the base with things powered up it will show short on the handheld meaning that it is reading something between the two.We had some issues communication where the lights were on solid ,but commands to the trains were delayed then would not respond,ended up being a natural thing from the son infrared interference.Blocking the outside light fixed it .
Johnny Adam

roundhouse foreman

Any corrosion on the battery terminals just about renders the hand held unit dead in the water, even after cleaning, The plating is usually gone making contact poor or interrupted. Call Bachmann and they may help.
Twist the case from end to end holding it on the curved ends. If the screen comes on and off the circuit connections are cracked somewhere.  They are cheap enough on ebay.
Energizer ultimate batts worth the $$$ just don't leave the hand unit ON when not in use and you won't believe how long they last.

RHF

Striker1945

All,

Checked battery terminals and nothing was corroded. I opened up the handset and nothing was disconnected or filled with dirt or grime of an kind. I went out and got some rechargeable energizer batteries but that did not help either. I finally decided to send the unit in to Bachmann for repair/replacement. Hopefully Im back up and running by Xmas!
Thanks for all your help though!

-Striker