News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO vintage set question

Started by Ahamm001, December 20, 2015, 10:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahamm001

I have a question for those of you that might know.  I have an old vintage HO scale santa fe set from the early 80's.  If I buy the new speed control and ez set track setup, will I have any problems getting it to work with the old locomotive?  Thanks for anyone that would know. 

jward

if your locomotive is in good working order it will work with ez track and any dc (analog) controller. it is not adviseable to use this locomotive with ez command of any other dcc (digital) controller unless you first install a decoder.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Jeffrey;
Why do you say that?

Rich C.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

not adviseable to use this locomotive with ez command of any other dcc (digital) controller unless you first install a decoder.

This.  Elucidate, please.

Rich C.

jward

as you know the DCC standard is to have a form of ac power applied to the rails at all times. this tends to overheat dc motors exposed to it especially if they are just sitting on it. I won't go into the details here of how it works, there are plenty of books out there that do a good job of explaining this. suffice it to say that just because you can run a dc locomotive on dcc with ez command or digitrax, it is done at the risk of weakening the motor or even burning it out. given that 1980s train set locomotives usually had cheaply made motors that often burned out running on the dc they were designed for, it seems foolish to purposely expose said motor to ac guaranteed to damage it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jward on December 21, 2015, 12:01:06 AM
as you know the DCC standard is to have a form of ac power applied to the rails at all times. this tends to overheat dc motors exposed to it especially if they are just sitting on it. I won't go into the details here of how it works, there are plenty of books out there that do a good job of explaining this. suffice it to say that just because you can run a dc locomotive on dcc with ez command or digitrax, it is done at the risk of weakening the motor or even burning it out. given that 1980s train set locomotives usually had cheaply made motors that often burned out running on the dc they were designed for, it seems foolish to purposely expose said motor to ac guaranteed to damage it.

Well said! I still to the life of me don't understand why this question was asked...
QuoteWhy do you say that?
Why do you say that?[/quote]
Please elucidate. ;D

jbrock27

Ahab001, what brand set is this?
If you purchase EZ track, do your self the flavor and buy the nickel silver rail variety, which is the EZ track with grey roadbed.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Well said! I still to the life of me don't understand why this question was asked...

I asked the question for two reasons:  Firstly; I have a great respect for Jeffery's knowledge of this subject-and secondly; I asked it because I can.

Rich C.