News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder soldering

Started by billgiannelli, December 24, 2015, 12:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I am somewhat of a novice at soldering electronics and the soldering iron I have seems to big for find detail.
what do you normally use for soldering fine electronic contacts like for a decoder.
thanks
Bill

Len

A 25 watt iron with an 1/8" wide chisel tip should work fine. Use a fine rosin core solder, and practice outside of a locomotive with some scrap PC boards and wire until you're comfortable working with it.

If you find it's something you'll be doing a lot of, you might invest in an iron with a temperature control at some point in the future, but it's not absolutely essential.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

One of the best items, I have ever obtained for this hobby, as well as for real life, is a Weller Soldering Station.  Model WLC100.  Followed by purchasing a variety of tip sizes to use for different applications.  The one tip that comes with most pencils is way too big Bill for the work you want to do.  This model not only has a variety of tips available but temp control. This tips also last, unlike other manufacturers tips, like Radio Shack.
The recommendation of this station was one of the best pieces of advice lexxon/RichG/richardl ever gave.
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

Thanks for the info!
I really appreciate getting tips from the more experienced! :)
Bill

electrical whiz kid

One thing I would like to add here is for you to read up a little on soldering onto and around delicate electronics.   Excessive heat, static discharge, etc, arew all villians of this kind of work.  I suggest becoming familiar with the care and feeding of these pups.  Also, there are a variety of heat sinks on the market; I at least use a pair of Kelly clamps-the kind found in a medical environ; if not, then a heavy-duty contraption like the one I concocted.  These have the ability to keep heat away from sensitive components while enabling you to maintain heat on the conductors being soldered.

Rich C.

brokenrail

Get yourself a bottle non acid soldering flux paste and a good magnifying head set.
Johnny Adam