Converting DC switches and crossovers to DCC

Started by rtb, December 22, 2015, 04:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtb

I have a Bachmann EZtrack layout that has several switches and some crossovers and would like to convert them to DCC.  I'am a complete idiot when it comes to electricity.  Is there an easy way for someone like me to do the conversions. The more I read, the more confused I get.  Thinking of throwing in the towel for the fourth time trying to get train layouts to function.  I started with HO, went to Lionel then to G scale, then to N scale and back to HO.  Have spent thousands of dollars and have had very little to show for it.

Thanks
Ron

Hunt

Two questions,
   1) What DCC system are you using?
   2) Why do you what to control the Bachmann Remote Turnouts with DCC?

Hunt

More. . . .

Click Here to view a video showing Bachmann analog powered remote direction switches ganged for the turnouts used in this DCC controlled work-in-progress layout.

Vizzin72

If the switches you have have the wires already coming out of them and you want to throw them with your dcc controller you will need a "snapit" which regulates the power to the turnout in "dcc" voltage (you will notice those switches are supposed to run off 16 volt AC from a secondary transformer for non dcc regular operation.  The snap it will provide the turnout power from your command Station and it will also allow for communication to the dcc accessory via a decoder just like in an engine.  If the turnouts/crossovers done have wires and motors in them to begin with just forget it your wasting your time and money just buy new turnouts.  Honestly I was in the same boat as you and I wish I would have just spent the extra money for the dcc ready turnouts.  I think the "snapit" deceive is between 15 - 20 bucks each so do the math and compare what you have plus those devices and all wiring needed vs the EZ track dcc equipped turnout.

Note: actually I think you may also need to run one wire from each rail to the snap it as well for each turnout ... I may be wrong in saying that the command station will power it.  I think the command station will power the turnouts if they are ALREADY dcc equipped.

jward

for simplicity's sake why do you want to control your switches with dcc? or more importantly why would you want to convert switches that can already work off of ac using a simple to set up system of pushbutton controllers that can be easily marked ass you see fit, with a retrofit that will make controlling them abstract? you have already mentioned that you are having trouble with the basic setup of your trains, why would you want to introduce an added level of complication to them by modifying what you have? this may sound harsh, but I advise you to learn how to setup and wire what you already have before you attempt something that you admit confuses you. experience is a great teacher.....and traditional switch control boxes are merely the same basic circuit repeated as many times as necessary, with very little variation.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I have to agree with Jeff on this one. If you have a small layout, it's generally simpler to just use the controllers that came with the switches. Or Normally Open push buttons if you want to build them into a control panel.

If you're really dead set on using DCC to control standard EZ-Track switches, the simplest way is with a Digitrax DS64 Quad Stationary Decoder: http://www.digitrax.com/products/stationary-decoders/ds64/

It can be configured for use with either solenoid controlled switches (EZ-Track/Atlas Snap) or slow motion switch machines, like the Tortoise. One DS64 can control up to 4 switches of whichever type you've selected. If you have both types, you need two DS64's, one for solenoid switches and one for slow motion. Full instructions and specifications can be downloaded from the web page listed above.

Len 
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.