News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

locomotive won't run

Started by DavidG, January 09, 2016, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidG

Not a very original topic I suppose... I recently received a Bachmann starter set, Rail Chief, which runs on DC (which seems to be important). I have found the locomotive to be very touchy to say the least, but after getting it to run for a minute today it refuses to budge. We have carefully tried to be sure all the wheels are on the track. The headlight goes on and responds to increased power, but no motion. For "the world's most popular hobby", this is giving me nothing but grief. Is this locomotive defective? Or am I? Can anyone help!
Thanks.

jbrock27

Have you or do you have the ability to, remove the shell?
Keep Calm and Carry On

DavidG

I have looked at my schematic and see what is labeled the shell.. yes, it appears that I could take the thing apart if i had to. Oh, and the darn thing is running again... did I threaten to take it to the land of forgotten toys and it got scared? If there is something i can check/fix so that it would run when I want it to I would be happy to follow some directions.

jbrock27

From what you first described, it sounded like something might have been disconnected in the drive line, hence the question about getting off the shell.
Do you run the track on the floor?  Carpet?  Have pets?  You can check for lint and dust in the wheels.  Also, run it with the shell off and if it runs strange, see if you can observe what might be the cause.  Since this is new, I doubt it needs lube yet.
Keep Calm and Carry On