Recommendation: Multi Meter

Started by jbrock27, January 09, 2016, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

While for some time now, I have recommended against purchasing a multi meter from Harbor Freight, advocating instead to use the money toward the purchase of a better quality meter, I can advocate for taking advantage of coupons that Harbor Freight frequently puts out for a FREE meter with ANY purchase.  I recently used one of these coupons and to qualify for the free meter, bought 2 part 5 minute epoxy for $1.99 + tax.  They have items in the store for as low as 99 cents, things that can be used, like the 2 part epoxy, for our hobby endeavors.

I can report that the meter works fine for the kinds of things we often encounter with running our model trains, in addition to being able to test household and car batteries.

For those folks getting into the hobby that don't have a meter, I recommend this multi meter as an essential tool to have. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

@jbrock27
I am glad you finally have some firsthand experience with one of these.
Consider what you paid for it, and realize why many of us treat them as disposable.
The wire leads seem to be the weakest link, nothing a bit of solder won't cure.

QuoteI can report that the meter works fine for the kinds of things we often encounter with running our model trains, in addition to being able to test household and car batteries.

For those folks getting into the hobby that don't have a meter, I recommend this multi meter as an essential tool to have. Smiley

Rich would be proud to hear you say this, and I am as well.  ;)

jbrock27

Quote from: James in FL on January 09, 2016, 03:59:17 PM
Rich would be proud to hear you say this, and I am as well.  ;)

LOL!!  Thank you James!  Yes, I imagine he would. 
And yes, I thought it was warranted to post the above topic after all my previous statements.  I do still maintain that if not for the great deal of the coupon, my meter $$ would go elsewhere, but had to be honest in my opinion and assessment after getting an HF for free.  And yes, agree, most folks treat many more things as disposable which they should not.  I will treat this with care and see what kind of service it gives me ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On