News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale first real layout questions

Started by Rickenbacker 325, January 11, 2016, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

Hello again! I have decided to take some of the utility room in my basement to finally build a layout. I have been using Bachmann nickel silver track for my table layout and wanted to change over to Code 83 tracks. I want to build this layout like a modular layout so that I can be taken out when I move. I have seen videos on YouTube about this but had some questions that were not answered.

How easy would it be to go from Code 83 to Code 100? I ask this because I have a Bachmann DCC turntable and custom painted roundhouse from the Thomas range that I would still like to use.

Are there any free demos for a Mac that I can use? I looked and all the ones I saw are for PC.

I would like to have a yard that can hold modern freight up to 70 feet and walthers passenger cars up to 85 feet. The longest section of the room would hold this and would be roughly 16' by 2' or if I could fit it 16' by 3'. I have some bachmann crossovers and have an idea about number 6 and number 4 switches.  I am planning to have 2 main lines that are 30" and 28" radius curves and I wanted mainline switches to be number 6 or 8's and yard to be number 4's so i can fit more. Would those longer cars be able to work on number 4's?

Last question/opinions needed, (sorry that there are so many!) I would like to make the yard switches manual and would either go with peco or atlas switches. I have heard mixed reviews on both of them and would like more opinions on them here.

Thanks in advance!!

Trainman203

There are transition rail joiners available.  I don't have long cars so I can't answer those related questions.  I use caboose industries high level switch stands on everything.  The look pretty good, work prototypically, and are flawless.

Flare

XtrackCAD has a Mac version, I used the Windows version for my layout.

Not the most intuitive software, but the full version is free to download and it has several brands of track in its library.

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 11, 2016, 05:07:26 PM
I use caboose industries high level switch stands on everything.

TM203, do you get the N scale ones or HO ones? (and yes, I know you use HO track)
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

HO scale.  They are a little oversize but boy do they work great.  You really feel like a switchmsn working them.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Rickenbacker 325

Thanks for your responses! I will look at my hobby shop for the different rail jointers as well as the switch stands. I have downloaded the Xtrack but seems to not open on my MacBook. I will download it again when I get home from work and try it again.

Edit: Got home to my computer not letting me open the file because of an unauthorized website.