News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP 7 Pick ups?? Stops in a Turnout

Started by plint, February 07, 2016, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

I got the Bachmann GP 7 DCC with Sound and am curious  to know if  there are pick ups  on both wheel sets?      I have one turn out where it stops 1/2 way on the next track section( a power terminal piece) when going through the curve part at slow speed.   It's fine going straight at slow speed back and forth and also going BACK through the curve at slow speed.  It's just when it goes slow through the curve. It's fine at a higher speed, just not at the slow speed.  I'm using older Atlas brass turnouts and it's fine in the other ones I use.  I did try another turnout and the same thing happened in the same location. Try a 3rd turnout??   Also, the rail joiners at the curve part have wires soldered to them  and there is power on both sides of the turnout so I think the power is ok.   Any thoughts?
Thanks
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

rogertra

Quote from: plint on February 07, 2016, 04:34:50 PM
I got the Bachmann GP 7 DCC with Sound and am curious  to know if  there are pick ups  on both wheel sets?      I have one turn out where it stops 1/2 way on the next track section( a power terminal piece) when going through the curve part at slow speed.   It's fine going straight at slow speed back and forth and also going BACK through the curve at slow speed.  It's just when it goes slow through the curve. It's fine at a higher speed, just not at the slow speed.  I'm using older Atlas brass turnouts and it's fine in the other ones I use.  I did try another turnout and the same thing happened in the same location. Try a 3rd turnout??   Also, the rail joiners at the curve part have wires soldered to them  and there is power on both sides of the turnout so I think the power is ok.   Any thoughts?
Thanks

Yes.  Add more jumpers to your tracks.  DCC is notorious for detecting poor pick up and poor continuity.

Cheers

Roger T.

brokenrail

Run it in place by holding one wheel set up and then the other on a clean straight section to make sure both trucks are picking up current .If it does not run with one of the trucks on the rail that is the troubled one.After that of course check the wheels for dirt buildup then look at the wheel wiper contact at the back of the wheels and clean if dirty or adjust the wiper contact force to the back of the wheel .Make sure he soldered wire to the wiper pickup is soldered on .Sometimes the wire may break at the solder joint.If ok.Remove the shell and make sure the wire is not loose at the board connection at the plastic cap .If you wiggle it watch and see if it moves in the plastic cap .IF it does you may want to solder it on.
Johnny Adam

plint

Thanks, you 2.    I've got plenty of jumpers.  It just seems like 1 dead little spot.  I'll just have to speed up a bit through it.  This does it.
Both wheel sets work fine.. I did that little test.   Like I said before, it's just this 1 spot.  I've swapped out many different track pieces and still the same result.

plint

Update:
All 3 DCC engines stop the same at the same place, the same way.

Len

Is that particular turnout part of a reverse loop or wye??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: plint on February 07, 2016, 07:54:09 PM
Update:
All 3 DCC engines stop the same at the same place, the same way.

That tells you you need another feeder from the DCC bus.  Simple.

If it was only one loco, then it could be that loco with the problem but as it's three, that is a sign you may need more feeders.  Put feeders on the switch's rails between the switch and all the rail joiners.  You could have a poor connection at one or more rail joiners.  See if that fixes it.  If it doesn't, then put feeders on the closure rails.

Did you mention what brand of track you are using?

Cheers

Roger T.

plint

Yes, older Atlas brass and new flex track,  I solder wires to the rail joiners but I guess I'll have to do all 3 ends now.  I only did the problem end.

jbrock27

I will toss an additional suggestion out here as it makes sense to me to go through the effort to check; do you have an NMRA gauge to check the 2 problem turnouts?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: plint on February 08, 2016, 06:03:10 AM

Yes, older Atlas brass and ................................

That could be part of the problem.  Brass track oxidises faster than nickel silver and this could cause poor electrical pick up.

Cheers

Roger T.

bapguy

Where the point rails pivot, is there a grommet that holds them in place? If so drill a hole through the hole and road bed. Put a feeder wire through the hole and hook up to the track feeder. Do this to both rails. Also solder a small piece of wire from the grommet to the bottom of the point rail. If the frog is metal, gap one of the rails that come off the frog end on the straight or diverging end and put a feeder wire on the rail past the gap.  Hope this helps.  Joe

plint

Quote from: Len on February 07, 2016, 11:41:33 PM
Is that particular turnout part of a reverse loop or wye??

Len

[/quote
It's a simple Atlas brass left hand turnout.

plint

Thanks to all.  I'll try seeing if the frog is a bit high but I have to wait until Saturday.