Bachmann HO (DCC) Shay locomotive - gearing issue

Started by davesurf, February 06, 2016, 04:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davesurf

I have two Bachmann HO (DCC) Shay locomotives. They are beautiful models but both succumbed to the same terminal issue ... the gearing on the main drive breaks loose and the mechanism simply spins without operating. These are plastic gears and I understand that the problem was so significant that another manufacturer developed metal gears to replace them. I do not know how to obtain them. Have any of you had similar problems with your Bachmann Shay locomotives and what did you do to remedy them? The product is no longer offered by Bachmann and I would suspect that quality is an issue. Thanks for your help and ideas.

WoundedBear

NWSL was making a metal gear set for Bachmann's HO Shay. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production, and NWSL has no plans of reissuing them at this time.

Bachmann has upgraded the drivelines and the new parts are available here....

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1651

They are simple to install and the redesigned gear is much more robust than the original version.

Sid

davesurf

Sid, thank you so very much. i will check on the site you sent me. I appreciate your help.

Br 98.75

If you ask really nicely i work at a hobby store that still has them

Br 98.75

i have 4x NWSL 2800-6
Bachmann spectrum 80 ton 3-truck shay #81907 regearing kit