News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale Y6B ?

Started by propmeup1, February 11, 2016, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propmeup1

This is only my second day on this forum, do we have a suggestion box at Bachmann ?

I have all four road numbers Bachmann put on the n scale EM 1, I love those engines and they pull a ton, 75 ore cars doubleheading with TSU-750 sound, it's an awesome sight.   
Since Bachmann has done such a wonderful job with the EM-1 I would like to see a N&W Y6B. Yes I have the old Rivorossi, two of them but they can barely get out of their own way in pulling power.  I added more rubber tires by adding more grooved wheels, helps some but they just don't it like the EM 1's do.

Guess that can go into the wish list of probably millions of things people want,

Keith

brokemoto

The Rivarossi was a Y-3, a USRA 2-8-8-2.   I have had a few of them.  Those that I had were pretty good pullers.   Even the slow speed control was pretty good, which for that time was unusual.  These things must have been geared rather well, as that RR can motor just was not the best.   The problems that these things had was the Zirmac rot. I had one chassis turn to powder in my hands, another one cracked while running and a third broke into three pieces.   Even the most recent issues of these had the Zirmac rot problem.

Life-Like sold a Y-3, as well, even available with an N&W type tender.  The thing ran well, had excellent slow speed control, but was an anemic puller.  Walthers bought out LL and did one re-issue of the Y-3.  Supposedly the second run had traction tyres and was reported to be a pretty good puller, but as I did not  buy one, I really can not comment on it.

To my knowledge, no one has done a Y-6b or an A.  B-mann did do a USRA heavy 4-8-2.  N&W had these, class K; one class of originals, one of copies.  All, or almost all, of them received shrouds after the second world war.    Bachpersonn did a "J", as well, so they have the plans for the basic shroud.

Mike C

Another run of the Heavy 4-8-2's would be nice . They are hard to find , and the C & O ones are impossible to get .

ALCO539

Brokemoto; the MRC/Rowa and some others (see Marks site, http://www.spookshow.net/riv2882.html) Con-Cor/Rivarossi locomotive was indeed a Y-6b.

I think you have it confused with the Life-Like/Walthers locomotive, which is a Y-3.

Charley.