News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifying a J Class 4-8-4

Started by lrbusjockey, February 12, 2016, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrbusjockey

Hey, guys...here's a question I can not find an answer to anywhere.  I have 14 J Class locomotives on my layout.  The track radius is correct for this model, but the front trucks are a pain in the butt because they continually derail on some of the curves.  My question:  is there some way to add weight to the front trucks so that they will lay a little heavier on the tracks?

propmeup1

I don't have an answer but I have four of the new ones them and two older ones and neither have a problem.  Funny how that works. On the other hand i have the Kato UP 844 and I can hardly keep her on the track, the pony wheels have very small flanges, very small.
Sorry I can't help, just compairing apples to oranges,

Keith

lrbusjockey

Thanks for the reply, Keith.  I love my 'J's" and I have got to figure out what is causing them to derail.  The lead trucks are so light weight that I thought maybe I could add some extra weight to them to keep them on the track.  I've checked wheel spacing and track alignment and all seem to be correct. 

mechanic

Have you checked the gauge on the wheels? Might be out a tad. I've seen some people add springs to the front truck but not on your specific model.
Best of luck!
Schutzhund:because you can't always have your .45 auto with you.

lrbusjockey

Thanks, strip.....just might see about adding a spring.  That sounds like it could work... :)

gatrhumpy

Quote from: lrbusjockey on February 12, 2016, 02:44:34 PM
Hey, guys...here's a question I can not find an answer to anywhere.  I have 14 J Class locomotives on my layout.  The track radius is correct for this model, but the front trucks are a pain in the butt because they continually derail on some of the curves.  My question:  is there some way to add weight to the front trucks so that they will lay a little heavier on the tracks?

Your track might have small dips and bumps in it, hence the reason for it derailing.