News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC conversion for Prairie Flyer

Started by drmckinney, February 14, 2016, 04:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmckinney

I have 2 Bachmann Steam Locomotives that I would like to be able to run on the same track at the same time. I understand that the easiest way to do that would be to have locomotives that are set up with DCC chips. I have a Prairie Flyer and the Disneyland edition JP Ripley. Are my locomotives candidates for such an operation and if so where do I begin. Thanks!

spookshow

Bachmann's 4-4-0 is not DCC Ready (IE, there is no plug'n'play decoder option). Which is not to say that a decoder couldn't be wired up inside of one, just that it would not be simple (especially if you've never done a wired install before).

Cheers,
-Mark

drmckinney

Thanks for the quick response! Where would I find a compatible decoder and install instructions?

spookshow

Good question. I tried Googling, but all of the promising sounding links led to dead pages.

Good luck!
-Mark

drmckinney

That is the same experience I had. Thanks for looking into this. I am going to call Bachmann tomorrow and see if they can give me any guidance. I also have 2 Atlas Steam Locomotives that need the same. I didn't think this was going to be so difficult. Thanks again!

gatrhumpy

Bachmann won't know anything on this. Since the engine is in the tender, it will be extremly difficult to get a DCC decoder into this engine.