News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New GP-38-2 quit (Update; fixed)

Started by Mark Oles, February 10, 2016, 12:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

Hello Bachmann and board members,

I have a brand new GP-38-2 that was purchased this past Saturday that suddenly stopped running.  The lights still come on, but I do not hear any motor trying to turn.  

How do I remove the shell to determine if a wire fell off or if the motor seized?  I discovered that the dynamic brake blister is removable revealing a PCB board.  

The road name is New England Central, road number 3848.  I am using a Tech II Locomotion 1500 power supply, and other locomotives (including other Bachmann) run fine.  I have a short train (5 cars) behind this locomotive.

This is my son's locomotive (he's 8) and I was running it at about 25% of full power.  Nice and slow.  Maybe it was too slow? Anyway, I'd like to see if it is possible to check before sending it in for repair.

Advice?

Thanks,

Mark

Bucksco

Is the loco DCC equipped? Sometimes the Dual mode decoders don't like the old pulse powered transformers. If possible try it with a different power pack. If you can't get it to work give the service department a call at (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager.

Mark Oles

Yardmaster,

This is a regular DC locomotive. 

I popped off the fuel tank, removed the screws.  BTW- I don't know if anyone has ever commented, but the fuel tank makes a perfect screw holder!!
Slowly separated the metal pieces and discovered that one of the motor leads had fallen off.  I checked the motor using alligator clips, no problems.
Quick soldering job and it's good to go.

While I was in there, I also greased the brass worm gear and the drive gears with some LGB gear grease.  Buttoned it all back up and gave it a quick test, everything is OK.

Also, the extra wire is nice.  I've had a few G scale locomotives where you run out of wire when you're trying to trouble shoot....

Bucksco

DM Rail Group

Quote from: Mark Oles on February 10, 2016, 02:57:53 PM
BTW- I don't know if anyone has ever commented, but the fuel tank makes a perfect screw holder!!
I recently added DCC to a pair of previously non-DCC GP40's, and found the fuel tanks to be perfect storage for the screws while working on them!

-Fuzzy