Bachmann HO scale Possible Transformer Issue

Started by Irishjollyroger, February 19, 2016, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irishjollyroger

I was gifted a Galaxy Ez track set which worked a few years ago.  I have cleaned the track and replaced the rail joiners on the tracks as well as the rerailer terminal.  I have two locomotives (all wheel drive) which I have also cleaned and run the wire test from the transformer to the engines and everything works in that regard.  When I place the locomotive on the track and turn on the transformer I don't get any activity.  However, if I pick up the train so only the front or back set of wheels is on the track the motors turn on as well as the light.  This occurs with both locomotives.  I don't know where to go from here, is this a track issue or a transformer problem?  I have read that the transformer No 6607 can junk out.

Second question, I assume I can replace the old transformer with a newer speed controller without any issue?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Len

If lifting one truck off the rails gets the motor and lights working from the other truck it's a loco internal wiring problem, not a transformer problem.

What it sounds like is someone had the trucks apart, and when they reassembled the got the pick up wires on one end reversed. This will create a short when both trucks are on the track at the same time, but lifting one end or the other will get the motor to run.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irishjollyroger

Len,

that did it.  Easy fix flipping the front truck around.  Just so happened to be flipped on both locos which is just unlucky, or a terrible prank.