News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Static Electricity

Started by Mr Mechanic, February 25, 2016, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mechanic

Don't know if this subject has ever come up here, but this is something to think about when servicing your locomotives with DCC. For all who don't know, you can cook the decoder if your body has a built up charge strong enough and you happen to touch the contacts on the board. The dry winter weather is a problem when working with sensitive electronic components. I read a lot of posts of new to DCC and thought I would give some advice for those that would have never thought of something like that happening. Touch something metal that's grounded to discharge the build up.

electrical whiz kid

What I have done-and I believe this does the trick-is to put a metal watch-band around your wrist or ankle, and ground the other end of the conductor.  This way, static charge will be kept to a minimum.  Also, you could do the same thing with a conductor and two alligator clips; hook one onto an accessible part of the motor, and the other end to a grounding conductor; water pipe, etc.

Rich C.

Hunt

Those who do not read all of the decoder installation instructions sooner or later learn about decoder damage from static discharge the expensive way.

Properly using an anti-static wrist strap/band is an ongoing solution when doing DCC decoder installation.

Mr Mechanic

Was thinking of the those new to DCC trains and have no experience with any type of electronics. Most don't know what static electricity could do the decoder. Just a precaution if they take them apart to service them. It was meant for those who don't know about it.

Len

Quote from: Mr Mechanic on February 25, 2016, 06:31:10 PM
Was thinking of the those new to DCC trains and have no experience with any type of electronics. Most don't know what static electricity could do the decoder. Just a precaution if they take them apart to service them. It was meant for those who don't know about it.

And there are a lot who don't. If nothing else, grabbing the kitchen sink faucet should get rid of any charge your carrying around. Just don't scuff your feet on the carpet heading back to the work bench.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.