Bachmann GE-ES44AC DCC & Sound Value Lehigh Valley STK #65403

Started by HoModeler, February 16, 2016, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoModeler

Thinking of getting Bachmann's GE-ES44AC... Lehigh Valley Heritage edition....

This Loco has DCC & Sound I was wondering if they where programmable
Such as Throttle settings or steps / Bell - Horn / Is the decoder readable on a program track...

How reliable are the engines.... How sharp of turns will this loco handle
Does anyone else have these Locos...I plan on running loco on my layout witch is full DCC

Thanks for the help

Rickenbacker 325

I have the Nickel Plate version of the ES44, I love this engine and the sounds are amazing. The recommended radius is 22" but I have been about to run it with a train on a 18" S curve with no problems. The only problem I had is that when I first got the engine programmed to is number, I was using a friends layout with MRC and it ran great, but when I went to run it on either DC or another DCC layout it wouldn't budge. I had to do a factory reset on it and runs like a dream on anything. Pulling power is average with about 25-30 cars with no wheel slip up a 1.5 degree grade.

brokenrail

They have a Spectrum quality drive Mechanism that has a lot of metal in it .Built to last if you take a close look at their construction.It won mew over. I like to see more diesels built and detailed like this one from the Bachmann.Thumbs up .
Johnny Adam

HoModeler

Quote from: brokenrail on February 17, 2016, 01:27:18 AM
They have a Spectrum quality drive Mechanism that has a lot of metal in it .Built to last if you take a close look at their construction.It won mew over. I like to see more diesels built and detailed like this one from the Bachmann.Thumbs up .
Johnny Adam

I have to admit Bachmann products are getting better in there detailing over the last 3 or 4 years...There Loco's are more dependable better quality internal parts being installed to last... For a wile in the past I used to shy away from Bachmann Products I did not think they where that reliable in years past but I have since changed my mind ever since I got a Bachmann DCC Ready GP-38 -2 for Christmas in 2014... Added a Sound Decoder & Little Weathering & engine detail items & the engine looks & runs awesome & one of my locos that always sees work on my layout & runs awesome & great pulling power with 33 cars..I think I am going to Spring & buy 2 ES44AC's

brokenrail

If you like the gp 38-2 .Take a look at the sd40-2 I would call it a hidden gem.Purchased one back when they were first released with dcc on board and it is still going strong .It is like a old work horse just keep going after say 8 years with a lot of time on her.
Johnny

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on February 18, 2016, 10:13:55 PM
If you like the gp 38-2 .Take a look at the sd40-2
Johnny

With a slight difference in length and number of axles, which may make a difference (negative) on some layouts.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

True if your running 18 Radius curves .At 22 radius and larger they are fine. The sd 40-2 can be adjusted  to turn a little tighter by rerouting the truck wiring a little that seems to get in the way from it making a max turn.I had to make that adjustment on my old layout that had some tight turns .Now my minium turing radius is a 22.
Johnny

HoModeler

Just picked up @ my Local Train hobby shop a GE-ES44AC...I must admit very good detailed engine Put the engine on my layout flipped on the track power & engine fired up right away entered in address 3 on my cab & engine responed right away awesome sounds from engine...Very Well Pleased I think I am going to get the PENNSY GE-ES44AC.... Got to admit Bachmann did a very good job in detaling & workmanship....

brokenrail

There are a few YouTube videos on these Heritage engines with the sound value  .One showed working ditch lights in the sd70ace version that light up.Does your have this feature?
Johnny Adam

Hunt

Quote from: brokenrail on February 27, 2016, 01:11:02 AM
There are a few YouTube videos on these Heritage engines with the sound value  .One showed working ditch lights in the sd70ace version that light up.Does your have this feature?
Johnny Adam

To date,  the Bachmann HO ES44AC and SD70ACe come equipped with non-operating ditch lights. 

jbrock27

PM me anyone, if you want, about ditch lights; I know someone who specializes in making them operational. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On