New 2-truck climax loco and sound card - no sound????

Started by elagache, March 06, 2016, 05:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elagache

Dear Bachmann technical support staff and supporters,

On January 29th, I purchased a Bachmann HO two truck climax locomotive model and associated sound card from Micro-Mark.  When I received the model, I tested it on my layout that is equipped with a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system.

The model performed fine, but there was no sound.  After making a number of checks including resetting the locomotive and reading some the values of the sound card registers, I concluded I had a defective product.  I sent these two items to Micro-Mark on February 8th and requested replacements which arrived on February 29th.

I was unable to test the new locomotive and sound card until yesterday.  When I did, alas the results were precisely the same.  The locomotive works just fine.  The headlights turn on and off as expected and reverse direction as they are supposed to.  However, there isn't any sound coming from the locomotive.

As before, I took the precaution of removing the sound card and resetting the locomotive.  That headlights flashed to confirm the reset had occurred.  Alas, when the sound card was put back into the locomotive, once more no sound.

Here are the components I have right now:

The sound card looks different from the card depicted in the documentation.  The connector that seats into the DCC card on the locomotive protrudes in the same direction as the 2 cylindrical components.  The documentation illustrates a sound card with the connector pointed in the opposite direction.  With the connector in this position, the sound card must sit very high in the tender as shown in this photo:

The cylindrical components are clearly coming into contact with the DCC card toward the front end of the tender compartment.  With the sound card seated like this, it is difficult to get the coal bunker to fit securely on top of the sound card.  I have checked to make sure that the connector was as securely seated as the space in the tender permits, but as before, there is no sound produced by the locomotive.

Is this the correct way to fit this sound card?  Is there any other sort of troubleshooting I should try to see why this locomotive isn't producing any sound?  Since I have gotten two locomotives and cards and had the same failure, it seems unlikely I have two sets of defective products.

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Edouard

Hunt

Refer to the Sound Module instructions. There is no sound because the sound module is incorrectly installed.

elagache

Dear Hunt and Bachmann support staff and supporters,

Quote from: Hunt on March 06, 2016, 06:14:49 PM
Refer to the Sound Module instructions. There is no sound because the sound module is incorrectly installed.

Well, I did look at the sound module instructions, but it didn't occur to me that there were holes in the circuit board to allow the pins to reach the connector on the other side.  Thanks to your pointer, I realized this wasn't a standard sort of electronic connector and upon second inspection I spotted those tiny holes.

Indeed once the card was inserted correctly, the sound came on immediately.

THANKS!  :)  This one was driving me crazy!  :o

Sincerely, Edouard