News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Shay lubrication

Started by John Meixel, March 09, 2016, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Meixel

I have two HO 80-ton three truck Shays.  The new one has loud motor whine.  I found a website saying that I can lubricate the gears by removing the ashpan.  It said I need to remove three screws.  I can easily remove the two outside screws but the one, in the hole, either isn't there or has a much smaller head.  What is special about this screw?

Thank you!

I've studied the exploded parts diagram some more and it appears that there are only two screws on both ends of the ashpan.  However I see two screws that appear to attach the cylinder assembly to the side of the ashpan.  It looks like I have to also remove those before trying to remove the ashpan.  Is that true?

J3a-614

That little Shay is a great model, but part of what makes it great is that a lot of the drive mechanism, including the motor, is quite well hidden, which means you are looking at a considerable tear down to get to some of it.  It's not too hard, but it is a lot of parts in a small area.  Just take your time and be careful not to lose a screw or anything else!

This might help:

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2012/06/bachmann-spectrum-shay-disassembly.html

John Meixel

J3A-614,  Thank you.  Yes I saw that website and it claims there are three screws holding the ashpan on.  The exploded drawings only show two.  I need someone to confirm how many there are.

Hunt

John,

Three screws hold in place the ash pan.  The screw in the hole is a slotted flat head. Use about 3/32" or 2.4 m/m to remove it.

John Meixel

brokenrail

MOTOR WINE can be caused mostly by dry motor bushings that like to tell you this by a little singing .A drop of good lube is all that is needed on the bushing.Too much can get in the motor and basically cause a huge headache .Avoid this!
Johnny

DAVE2744

Hello John,  The Shay is indeed a great model.  
1-When you say "new", do you mean new as from factory, or new to you?  
2-If the later, how old do you think it is?
3- Also, the top speeds for the prototype were in the 10 to 12mph range.  This is about 20 secs per 5 ft of HO track. Does it make a whine at those kinds of speed?  
5-The gear set is a compound reduction, the secondary set turns at a very slow rpm.  Can't see as this would cause a "whine".  
6-That only leaves the motor, as was suggested earlier.  
7-To get to the motor, the boiler and cab must come off.  Been there, done that.  Not pleasant!  
8-The screw "in the hole" should have been a Phillips type.  Looks like someone was in there before.  
9-I found the gear set-to-ashpan clearance was too tight, causing very slight growl.  I used .005" shims on the cylinder side of the ashpan only, to relieve this.  Much better. The ashpan provides the other half of the bearing for the secondary gears.
If the whine is not too bothersome at the protoype speeds,  and unless you enjoy working on watches,  I'd leave it alone for now.  If the whine gets worse,  then you'll have to bite the bullet and dive in.  If you have to dis-assemble it, post again and I'll post my notes on my dis-assembly.  Good Luck, Dave