News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP 30

Started by EBT17, March 20, 2016, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBT17

Is the Bachman GP 30 chassis/trucks interchangeable with any other bachman body styles?

brokenrail

The body shell fits a gp35 frame and the trucks will fit almost all of the 4 axle diesels made except the small switchers and the old single truck powered mechanisms That truck with the tower has been around since the early 90's with different type sideframes.
JOHNNY

EBT17

I currently have a GP30, and if I understand correctly, I can easily swap out an RS3 body with no issues?

jward

no. you can't swap bodies. the chassis are specific to certain models. in the case of the gp30, it and the gp35 have similar dimensions thus the bodies are interchangeable. the same with the gp38-2 and gp40. but you can't use a gp40 body on a gp30 chassis, or an rs3 body on anything but an rs3 chassis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

EBT17

rogertra

Quote from: jward on March 21, 2016, 09:32:31 AM
no. you can't swap bodies. the chassis are specific to certain models. in the case of the gp30, it and the gp35 have similar dimensions thus the bodies are interchangeable. the same with the gp38-2 and gp40. but you can't use a gp40 body on a gp30 chassis, or an rs3 body on anything but an rs3 chassis.

Anyway, wouldn't the underbody details be completely wrong?

Cheers

Roger T.

brokenrail

I see what your getting at  because of the truck spacing is very close similar .Many old modelers ,well myself has found a old Athearn gp 35 frame and grind the heck out of it  for a rs 3 and many other rs somethings for a kit bash ,but it is a lot of work .The B-mann may sell the frame, or if not, I have seen them on online auctions.
Johnny Adam

jward

a much easier kitbash would be to use the trucks of an rs3 or fa2 under a gp30 or gp35. this was commonly done on the real railroads, as new locomotives often reused the trucks of the locomotives that were traded in on them, examples of alco trucks under gp30s or gp35s could be found on the Southern, GM&O, Soo Line, Frisco and their successors.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

brokenrail

Great info Mr Ward. Be great if Bachmann would sell those side frames separately.
Johnny