News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter Witt street car

Started by wiggy, April 09, 2016, 04:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiggy

Hi,
Looking for some info and a little help.
Not greatly into trams but just having a play to see if I can put sound into one.
I have a Spectrum (Bachmann 5) H0 Peter Witt street car DCC ready Item number 84602.
I'm using a Lenz controller.
Item was bought s/hand with the description of a sluggish runner.
Address should be number 3.
When I first put it on the track I got no response at all so checked the address which was 3 so changed it to 4 and away it went.
It runs great no sluggishness, lights and interior not working but not to bothered with that.
After about 2-3 yards it stopped and did a little backwards and forwards movement and away it went again.
This keeps happening which may suggest over heating but that is a guess, apart from that it runs great with no sluggishness or jerking.
All pickups are clean and so are the wheels and I've checked all connections.
So I'm looking for any info as to weather the motors are 12v as on the supplied DC plug there are 2 resisters.
There are also what look like 2 resisters on the decoder circuit board.
I'm not sure what decoder is fitted to the street car as its factory fitted but I want to put a Loksound decoder in it so it will have sound.
Any info or guidance is appreciated.
I don't want to replace the factory fitted decoder with a Loksound and burn out the circuit board or blow the decoder.
Thank you.

wiggy

Hi,
I've done a bit of testing this morning and come up with the conclusion that the factory fitted decoder is not compatible with my Lenz system which is a bit strange.
The decoder will run on both DCC and DC, so I've had it running on DC for half a hour on a rolling road with no problem which will eliminate the motor etc.
Put it back on to DCC and it will run OK but then stop do a little backwards and forwards movement then of it goes a gain.
The decoder and circuit boards are not getting hot so back to compatibility.
So the simple solution is to try another decoder and thats what I want to do but I'm not sure what these resistors are that are fitted to the decoders circuit board.
Last thing I want to do is to fry something.
I would guess that the decoder may be a Digitrax but not sure what Bachmann fit.
I want to try an ESU or Lenz decoder with out frying something.
Regards.

Hunt

The factory installed DCC decoder is a 2 function decoder that is manufactured by Bachmann using a Lenz design.

Click Here for decoder info.

Do not have convenient access to Peter Witt streetcar to verify answers to your other questions or see if the "stopped and did a little backwards and forwards movement"  issue can be duplicated.

wiggy

Quote from: Hunt on April 10, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
The factory installed DCC decoder is a 2 function decoder that is manufactured by Bachmann using a Lenz design.

Click Here for decoder info.

Do not have convenient access to Peter Witt streetcar to verify answers to your other questions or see if the "stopped and did a little backwards and forwards movement"  issue can be duplicated.

Thank you for your reply.
The info came in handy.
I took the bull by the horns and fitted another decoder and everything so far is working OK.
Even found it had interior lights that now work along with the head lights.
Next thing is to fit sound in.
Thanks again.