Helical cut gears? GP 9 & more part problems

Started by brokenrail, March 28, 2016, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

Do Bachmann gp 9 locos have helical cut gears.Getting a lot of gear crunching noise from 1 truck so I removed the bottom cover  to take a look and noticed 1 idler gear looks like it has helical cut gear ,but the rest are straight .At slow speed in reverse the loco stalls ,but does not at the same speed going forward.There a possibility that they got the gears mixed up during assembly.Never noticed or had any problems like this before with any of my other Bachmann 2 axle trucks.Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Johnny.

brokenrail

Doc your link goes back to the Bachmann home page.This is a Bachmann ho scale gp 9 dcc onboard.Why would I not ask here?
Johnny

the Bach-man

Dear Johnny,
Please contact the service department and describe the issue.
They will be glad to help.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

brokenrail

Thanks Bachmann!
I sent a email to Laura in service today with a picture of the defect and a good  description .I hope she is still there.Have not had any problems in a long time.
Johnny

jbrock27

Quote from: doctorwayne on March 29, 2016, 04:51:16 AM
...his reply basically echoed mine.

Wayne

If it was the intent of your initial reply to suggest contacting the Service Department, why not just have said that? 
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: doctorwayne on April 02, 2016, 01:51:15 AM
It strikes me as odd that on a site under the ægis of the manufacturer of the locomotive in question that anyone would ask such a service-related question within the discussion forums rather than going directly to the link provided by the manufacturer...

Wayne

While it may be odd to you, people come here asking these kinds of questions all the time.  Some times the ultimate answer is "contact the Service Department".  What is not so odd is having asked this question in the first place, thinking there may be other answers aside from "contact the Service Department"; I am sure you have seen the questions about replacement Bachmann Shay gears? While these could be answered by a reply of "contact the Service Department", that is not the only answer, correct?  I see nothing odd about asking this question to see what others have experienced and what their solution might have been.  I guess you are not one of them that could offer such things.

Asking here is akin to asking medical advice from a co-worker at the glue factory.

Wayne

Not really ::)

...the Bach-man...his function here seems to me to more of a moderator than the person to answer service-related questions...

Wayne

Agree with you wholeheartedly there.

Sorry if my reference was too oblique.

Wayne

No need to be sorry.  Just keep in mind that sometimes it is better to just be direct.  Not every reply requires paragraphs and lots of pictures.
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Many come here to ask questions related to repairs dealing with a service related part or knowledge of the product since experience of the experienced modeler is much more then what is offered in service today.There are instances where technology of dcc and dcc with sound is covered there .It is difficult to get through to someone with product knowledge unless you get that  1 person. I myself am willing to do my own work rater then send it in, unless it is something so major it need complete replacement. The upside is that parts are supplied and covered under the guarantee as long as proof of purchase is shown for the new product .
Besides a forum like this is a great place for a company striving to improve there products more rapidly monitoring such problems Rather ten just on the return end of it since most that do not have the time will just chalk it up as a loss .The email with the pic and description of the defective part was sent in Monday.A follow up call was made on Wednesday to check if they had received it.Contact was made and they claim they were not there on Monday and that someone else was handling the e-mails .Was told to resend it and that they would call me about receiving it.
Thursday I resent it a few more times.Friday I called back to check to see if they got it and was told speaking to the same person that Quote; I was not here on Monday and the person that was  handling the e-mails may had sent it to the parts department. I was dumbfounded after that and lost my train of thought and forgot to ask if they actually did! is it me or does something just not seem right?
Johnny Adam

jbrock27

Quote from: doctorwayne on April 02, 2016, 01:41:23 PM
The response  which Johnny received from Service is inexcusable, and I do aplogise for directing him there only because of that.

Wayne

I don't know what makes you feel the need to apologize for someone else's service.  As far as directing him there?  Your directing was as clear as mud, that is all I am pointing out.  Don't know why you are appearing to be so sensitive about this.

...would you not think this to be a manufacturing defect?

Wayne

Who knows?  Did you know?  That is why Johnny asked the question in the first place, no ???

I could have offered any number of solutions...

Wayne

So why didn't you and allow Johnny to make the choice of which one he wanted to follow?

No one else has chimed in with "I have the same problem"

Wayne

Not as yet anyway, but that does not mean that no one will.

...your entire post attempts to make an issue of my response, and I see this type of behaviour towards others, too.

Wayne

Nope, only that your initial response was not clear and therefore, not very helpful, if that was your intention.  If you mean to point out, in the later part of your statement, that I don't agree with every single thing that is posted here, then you are absolutely correct.

...you devoted plenty of time and effort to my post

Wayne

Not hardly any time at all. ;)

...offered nothing for the original question.

Wayne

Because I do not know the answer, but I do know, that if my suggestion was to contact Customer Service, I would be able to convey that in a perfectly clear manner.

I would offer that the reply "contact Customer Service" could apply as a response to any question about any Bachmann Product, couldn't it?  But is that always the best response?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr Mechanic

While we are talking about "contacting customer service" let me tell you what happened in my situation and why I joined this forum. When I first had my problem with running a sound and non sound equipped diesels in a consist, I thought there was something wrong with the non sound unit. I went to the repair request form and filled out, in detail, what was happening when I ran them together and of the noise from the non sound unit. I then mailed the unit back to be repaired. In the meantime I had received another dcc non sound engine that had the same noise as the one I sent in. I had sent a e mail about the noise in the new engine and if at all possible just to send me the parts to repair my new unit when they returned the one back to me,I could just fix it myself and save the money on postage. In a little while, I received a phone call from customer service that my engine was on it's way back and that they found nothing wrong with it. During that phone call I should have been told that you cannot run the sound and non sound units together without adjusting CVs, I should have been told that the sound of the motor hum was normal in the dcc equipped engines. It wasn't until I had joined this forum that I found out what the difference was. In my e mailing, I should have been told by the repair center or customer service that this was normal operation of the units, but wasn't. Contacting customer service did nothing.

brokenrail

Well my Truck assembly part came and  the paperwork states it was checked and the gears look good.AND THEY DO UNDER MAGNIFICATION!!!...Came complete ,,,but it is the older style TRUCK with different clips that  would  not hold the original  models sideframe on that I already painted silver.Just my luck I guess.I can either swap out the new gears to the original gear box .Or install the odd ball truck and paint the side frame  SILVER since they sent me a blue truck for a U P LOCO and call it a day.May just have to give service a call since they sent me the wrong truck wiTh the part number I gave them from the parts list that came with the loco and double checked this in the online catalog. How many version of wired truck do they use for a gp 9 ? I know the older sideframes that they used in the past are separately applied brake cylinders (jugs) and have 2 large clips on the front and back of the truck.Mine has molded cylinders and a large and small clip arrangement.I like to things the right way and putting a mismatch trucks on a old clunker is one thing ,but on a new loco is sacrilidge and may cause issues for me or maybe someone else down the road.
??? Johnny

brokenrail

After some discussion with service .The part issue was resolved. Apparently there was a change in trucks for a gp diesel for about a year .Similar to the point that they will fit the loco,but do not share the same side frame assembly.They have different clips sizes and the gear case fame is a little wider .Both are wired.Easy way to tell is if there is a hole next to the brake cylinder it is the old standard style.If it does not .It is the odball that was only made for a year .The side frames will not fit the standard style that was made as far back from the plus years minus wires.
Johnny