News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD F9 Idler Gear Specs for 3D Printer?

Started by drex, April 20, 2016, 01:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drex

Hello.

I am looking for some info about the infamous idler gears for my EMD F9 fleet. I don't want to junk the locos since they were my fathers and I want to keep them as-is and replace the cracked gear. I have a friend with a 3D printer who said he would make a few for me.

I believe these gears are not made by Bachmann and no substitutes or replacements are available, correct? Here is what I gathered from one of the cracked gears..

It is a double gear.. Large gear is 18 tooth approx 10mm diameter. Smaller gear is 8 tooth approx 4mm in diameter. The center hole is approx 2mm in diameter.

Does this seem right? I also have no idea what pitch or modulus they are.. Are there 3D printer files out there already to make this gear or does it have to be designed from scratch?

NWSL makes a gear close to this, but I haven't found anyone to confirm.. It is p/n 2228-6

Disclaimer:
I know these pancake motors are junk and so are the gear boxes. They are 3 pole, noisy, hard to control, etc... My goal is to revive my dad's loco without repowering it or buying other locos for parts..

Thanks.

brokenrail

If you have access to a 3d printer why would you use it to restore a junker? You could make your own shells or parts for something of value ,or something that has not been produced. You can't scan the old gear and or measure it?
Johnny

drex

Does anyone have meaningful input on this?

brokenrail

Do you have the gear that you want to copy? Meaningful question will get a meaning full answer .I have many gears in my personal stock from collecting over 20 plus years and know what they are for.Not the type that throws things out.When you do, the next day ,you will need it.
Johnny

jward

one wonders what patent issues would be involved in copying parts from a locomotive whose maker is still in business, and who still sells parts for that particular locomotive. the power truck is still available in the parts store, though the gears are not sold separately.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

brokenrail

I imagine you can make/copy anything .As long as you do not sell it without the rights. Just like recording movies ,music ect...
I think those power truck pancake motor gears are all the same.They are kind of a dead end and cannot be upgraded like the old AHM vertical motor.I guess I need to put some on the bay since there still in demand for pancakes.
Johnny