News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

6 Axle locos and curves

Started by Deland, June 30, 2016, 07:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deland

I'm starting a small 5 X 9 layout. I'll be using 22, 26 and 28 in curves #5 turnouts. I'm looking to expand my roster and wanted opinions on 6 axle diesels and also Steam that will run well on those radii. I'm thinking overall length will be the issue to run correctly and not look terrible. I'm also wondering if a 6 wheel steamer is the max or are there 8 -10 wheel ones I can run?

RAM

Steam locomotives, stay with the 2-8-0, 2-6-0 or 4-6-0.  sure  some of the other locomotive would run on your curves, but your layout is not that big and short trains will look better.  If you are going to run steam, well stay will early like the sd9 and not the big locomotives that are running to day.

jward

from my experience 22r should handle most if not all 6 axle locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

quark51

On my layout I have 22r curves and my Kato SD80MAC and SD90MAC run with no problems.

Trainman203

I have a 26" radius curve.  2-8-2s hang over and look funny on that curve, so I don't run them much.  8-driver engines can run on sharper curves but, simply put, just look funny and unrealistic.

It all comes down to how funny and unrealistic an appearance you are willing to live with.  I can't tolerate it, some  people can.