News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck Climax, again

Started by bossguy, June 20, 2016, 07:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bossguy

I find it interesting that this problem has existed for 8 years and I just bought a 3 truck climax without sound and it also ran for less than an hour. Several e-mails with Laura and she mailed me the metal geared trucks, new driveshaft, the cross shaft that attaches the flywheels and another shaft with one metal and one plastic gear on it. I replaced the cross shaft, driveshaft and trucks and found the Climax still wouldn't move. The flywheels turned but not the driveshaft. While I was waiting for the new parts I ran 2 wires from the diamond stack to the tender with the thought of putting a 1/2 inch speaker in the stack (fits perfectly) and a Soundtraxx Econami in the tender when I got the drivetrain sorted out. A few more e-mails with Laura and she advised me to return the whole loco for warranty service. I mailed it out that day and a week later I received a call from the service dept telling me the loco had been modified and the warranty was void. They were returning it to me unrepaired and wouldn't repair it even if I paid for it. I explained to Laura that the wires were unattached at both ends and the loco had a driveline problem, not an electrical problem. She said she would talk to service tech and see what she could do. She called me a few days later and said they would not repair it even at my expense but she could sell me a 2 truck Climax with the metal gears and the Soundtraxx module and also send my 3 truck Climax back to me unrepaired I agreed and told her it sounded like the service dept was looking for the hair on the egg to avoid doing their job.
So my question to the forum is, Has anyone had a similar problem where the flywheels turn but the driveshaft does not? I'll take it apart and look but was hoping someone may have run into this and can save me some time. Thank You, Jack

brokenrail

Yes . universal joint or slipping cracked coupling.Bachmann characteristic on their older models .Mostly diesel.But if it has dive shafts universals and couplings it can also include steam.The couplings split just like the old couplings do.They are made too brittle.The newer models are made of a better resin with some stretch.
It must have had some type of mod or abuse to it for them not to repair it.They are pretty good at getting parts so you can fix it yourself. Sounds like help is needed. Get a good magnifier.ThOse parts are small and the percision involved needs it even if you have a good set of eyes to get the job done right.A must have.
Johnny

bossguy

When I refer to these flywheels, I don't mean the brass weights on the motor that diesels use. I'm referring to the discs on the side of the transfer case that the side rods attach to. They turn and the side rods move back and forth in the cylinders but the driveshaft running front to rear in the transfer case does not turn, the driveshaft is square tubing with slip yokes like a Shay.

brokenrail

Same terminology different animal.
Your going to have to tear it down to fix it anyway.Many get intimidated by the looks of things being too complicated then they really are .Be the mechanic and take care in each step of the tear down to explore what is going wrong.Take mental notes or pictures during each step and lay out your parts in a row.This way during reassembly .You just take the row of parts and go backwards. I Have worked with many automotive transmission technicians that do it this way for so many parts.As long as it is in a place where it will not be disturbed 100% it can be done over a long period of time if needed and will have a nice visual layout reference type set up  to make things go together much easier eliminating guess work or a forgetful memory.Take the time to set yourself for reassembly in other words.This method will find the bad parts along the way.
Johnny

J3a-614

Quote from: brokenrail on June 24, 2016, 01:09:31 PM
As long as it is in a place where it will not be disturbed 100% it can be done over a long period of time if needed and will have a nice visual layout reference type set up  to make things go together much easier eliminating guess work or a forgetful memory.Take the time to set yourself for reassembly in other words.This method will find the bad parts along the way.
Johnny

I haven't quite had to do this, but one thing you might want to consider, if you're worried about having to take too long and risking parts getting moved or lost, is to get a piece of cardboard or wood or something and lay down some of that double-sided adhesive tape.  Then you set your parts on that, and they should stay put until needed.

I also have to say you shouldn't be too afraid of these things.  Remember, someone had to put it together in the first place, so someone else (you) should be able to take it apart and put it back together again--even if you sometimes wonder why the designers did what they did!   :D

I say this as the successful disassember and reassembler of a variety of Bachman products, including the Shay!