News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

prolonging belt-drive treatment

Started by MILWmodeler, August 02, 2016, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MILWmodeler

I asked Bachmann customer service what material the belt drives for the Spectrum steam were made from, but they sent me here for info.

I have a 2-8-0 which ran great years ago, but has been stored for a long time. I disassembled it for a good cleaning and re-lubing before putting it into service. Also had a to fix a cracked gear on the motor shaft.  The belt drive is no longer round. It's ovalized, probably because it sat stored in the same position for so long. The engine pulses at about the same rate as a belt rotation so I think the belt, by taking an oval shape, is causing the locomotive to surge instead of running smoothly. Seeing that the only way to buy a belt is with a $42 motor/chassis combo, I was wondering if anyone has a special treatment for the belt.

My thought that if it's rubber, than the polymers that keep it supply have evaporated through time and using a treatment like 303 protectant, UV Tech, or even ArmorAll would make the belt more supple and the loco run smoother. Since I'll be out $42 if I do nothing or it doesn't work, I'll probably try it in a couple weeks after I finish a couple other projects.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Bachmann does sell the drive belt by itself. You just have to look under the 2-10-0 in the parts page, as it is for both the 2-10-0 and the 2-8-0.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_158&products_id=925

MILWmodeler

Of course they "sell"  the part,  but the big red sold out button is why I'm looking for alternative options.

jonathan

Don't know if this will help, but for what it's worth...

If you look closely at the belt, it has two layers:  the outer layer is a soft, but tough plastic; the inner layer is rubber.  If you don't see any cracks or splits in either layer, I suspect the belt is fine.  It may have "ovalized" as you say, but the tension between the cog gears should prevent surging.  If you run the loco for a while and the belt doesn't break, I suspect it will smooth out over time.   At least, it should last until the red button is gone on the belt part.

I feel your pain.  The last time the belts were available, I bought two.  I have eight belt-drive locomotives.  Gotta have a couple just in case.  They come in sporadically.

I would not recommend trying any chemicals on the belt.  Chems would just wander around inside the mechanics. Who know what that would do?

Regards,

Jonathan

brokenrail

Automatic transmission fluid will soften it. Soak it for a little wile ,then wash with soap and water .It will work as long as it is not dry rotted and cracking.
Johnny

Jhanecker2

Please note : All auto trans fluids are not the same .  Do you have a particular fluid in mind ? John 2.

RAM

jonathan

2-8-0 Connie, 4-8-2 Mountain, 2-10-0 Decapod

Don't know about the 4-6-2 K-4.

Talk about a smooth running locomotive... the belt has always made me apprehensive.  However, the only problem I ever had was a factory defect--two belts came from China with splits in the plastic part of the belt.  After replacement, the locos have run for years without problems.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

The 4-6-0's have a belt also. So far, mine have held up to a lot of running.

Sid

brokenrail

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on August 03, 2016, 05:23:10 PM
Please note : All auto trans fluids are not the same .  Do you have a particular fluid in mind ? John 2.
Any Dextron 2,3,4 ect...

RAM

Ok the only ones I have are the 2-8-0s

brokenrail

4 4 0 modern Spectrum also uses a belt If this helps.
Johnny