Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

hawthorne village marine loco

Started by CarlGCioffi, August 02, 2016, 10:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: CarlGCioffi on August 03, 2016, 04:20:12 PM
the decoder install is fine.

Glad to hear that (at least a portion of) this project worked out :)

Quote from: Len on August 03, 2016, 02:07:46 PM
...it shows you need to remove the fuel tank to access the screws on the bottom of the chassis.

Len

I hear you Len, but gotta believe for someone tackling a decoder install, it is not above their ability to figure out how to get to the motor mount screws.  There is also the Bachmann Parts Index Page here, a good place for someone to look first before asking questions.  Plus, you know the saying about leading a horse to the watering hole, right ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

CarlGCioffi

Actually I did figure out to take the 2 screws out of the fuel tank but the motor didn't come out that easy the first time and I know how easy it is to break some of the plastic parts. Sometimes there are also plastic clips in there and if you don't release them properly they just snap off. It was much easier once I figured out I wasn't going to break anything but thanks for the help anyways. I do have an engineering degree but like I said I've broken pieces before. Decoder installs really aren't that difficult. Although I must say it was quite an experience installing decoders in my N-scale RDCs. Being almost 65 my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be. Now I wear reading glasses and I still need a lighted magnifying glass just to be able to see those 30 gauge wires once I strip off the insulation. I was a bit puzzled though when my headlight only came on in reverse but then I remembered having this problem once before and finding the CV 33,34 fix for this online.

jbrock27

Quote from: CarlGCioffi on August 03, 2016, 07:34:40 PM
Actually I did figure out to take the 2 screws out of the fuel tank

Just like I knew you would be able to ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

CarlGCioffi

Thanks for you confidence. I now have at least a dozen which I have converted to DCC including 3 HO rdcs and 4 n-scale rdcs. Each one gets a little easier and my soldering skills with those tiny wires have gotten much better.

jbrock27

You're welcome dude!  Go for it!

What kind of soldering tool do you have?
Keep Calm and Carry On

CarlGCioffi

Oldie but goodie. Probably from the 60's and goes all the way up to 850 degrees.

jbrock27

Looks like a classic!  And I bet works like one!  A station is the way to go.
Keep Calm and Carry On

CarlGCioffi

This one was free and it came from my late father and probably one of the last great TV repairmen. May he rest in peace.