News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traction Tires

Started by cmsluss, August 19, 2016, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all!

I have a Spectrum 2-8-0 and a Spectrum J 4-8-4 and both locomotives have lost traction tires.  I use standard nickel-silver track.  The locomotives are not abused, they are primarily "pullers" and not used in switching operations.

Why would traction tires just slip off the drivers?  The Consolidation will pull a small train without traction tires.  I have not attempted to use the J without traction tires.

Has anyone used any of the "after market" traction tires?  I'm not interested in doing a project like Bull Frog for traction... I have enough trouble with tiny N scale repairs and replacements now.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you!

spookshow

Traction tires these days tend to be a bit more thin and flimsy than they used to be back in the day, so they are a bit more prone to hopping of their slots. Applying a thin layer of adhesive (or even just paint) to the slot should help them stay put.

James in FL

Generally traction tires are not thrown unless you are overloading the lokie causing the wheel to slip inside the tire. Try removing a few cars.
Also sliding a lokie back and forth along the railhead when attempting to rail it is not good practice either.
Once thrown, a tire becomes stretched and will easily be thrown again, therefore the Spooks advice to use a bit of paint in the cleaned wheel grove is good, many of us do this.
Look here for replacements, buy the max. quantity, they sell out fast.
Same tire for both lokies.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_80&products_id=9028

Good luck

cmsluss

Excellent...  Thanks so very much for the help!