News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Hogwarts

Started by Rickenbacker 325, November 05, 2016, 11:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I recently got a Hogwarts set with 1 engine and 6 passenger cars, 2 brake and 4 coach cars. The wheels are plastic and roll freely but the club I work at doesn't allow freight or passenger cars with plastic wheels. Are there any metal wheels that are the correct size that will work?

On a side note, some of the hooks are missing on the passenger cars, they are smaller than the Thomas and Friends hooks so I don't think those will work. Is there a name for these couplings so I can get some replacements?

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Rickenbacker 325 on November 05, 2016, 11:36:16 PM
I recently got a Hogwarts set with 1 engine and 6 passenger cars, 2 brake and 4 coach cars. The wheels are plastic and roll freely but the club I work at doesn't allow freight or passenger cars with plastic wheels. Are there any metal wheels that are the correct size that will work?

On a side note, some of the hooks are missing on the passenger cars, they are smaller than the Thomas and Friends hooks so I don't think those will work. Is there a name for these couplings so I can get some replacements?

The coaches are old Bachmann Branchline British Railways MK1 coaches from the time before the NEM coupling pockets that the new ones are fitted with. For the wheels and trucks, your best bet would be to get some Bachmann Branchline 36-005A MK1 Bogies. You should be able to get them no problem from Hatton's Model Railways for a few bucks for two trucks. Here is the link.
http://www.hattons.co.uk/18665/Bachmann_Branchline_36_005A_Pair_of_BR_Mk1_coach_bogies_Identical_to_36_005/StockDetail.aspx
The trucks come with couplings fitted and would work with your coaches. Don't forget to change the price to US Dollars. They do ship internationally. I have ordered from them before and they usually have what I order shipped out about 2 or three days after I order. Though I order on Fridays when I do order something from them which would have something to do with it.

Rickenbacker 325

I like the look of them but $8.42 just for 2 sets is a bit pricey for me seeing as I have to do 6 cars. Would these work?     http://www.hattons.co.uk/6984/Bachmann_Branchline_36_015_Metal_3_hole_disc_wagon_wheels_on_10_metal_axles_12_6mm_Pack_of_20/StockDetail.aspx

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

They would however, then you run into the issue of the couplings that are missing hooks. Now are the couplings missing the hook on just one end or both? If the ones that are missing hooks, if they are only missing the hook on one coupling, you should be fine, but if both hooks are missing, then your best bet would be to conver the coaches and engine to knuckle couplings as spare tension lock couplings of that size aren't easy to find here in the states. I had to make similar coupler modifications to some Bachmann Branchline Thompson coaches I have that had an identical style coupling to the coaches in the Hogwarts Express train set. it is quite easy to do. Simply put, cut the loop off of the tension lock coupling and remove the hook (on the ones that still have the hook), take a Kadee coupler box (you get those in every pack of knuckle couplers from them or you can get them separately) and glue the part with the cylinder onto the base of the tension lock coupling where the loop was and allow time to dry (about 10 minutes should do if using model glue or about 5 minutes for loctite super glue) then place the knuckle coupler in ht e part of the coupler box that you glued in place on the base of the old coupling and CAREFULLY glue the lid of the coupler box in place (I say carefully because if you get glue on the end of the coupler that's in the coupler box, it will not pivot). For the tender, converting it to knuckle couplings should be as easy as unscrewing the tension lock coupling and using the existing screw, put a knuckle coupling in a Kadee coupler box in it's place. I hope the advice helps.