News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Twin Cities track lay out

Started by JFERNANDEZ, November 05, 2016, 08:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFERNANDEZ

I need more information about Rail insulating gaps (where to buy them and more details on the connection. I am planning to have to trains on this track. I have a Thorougbread and  an Overlan Set. Where on the track lay out do I connect the two tansformers. Thanks

jbrock27

If you were thinking of connecting 2 DC transformers (power packs) to one layout simultaneously, that is a no no, unless you are using a "Block System", like Common Rail Wiring and are using switches to transfer power from one section of track from one power pack to the other.  These switches effectively turn off power from one pack and turn on power from the other as well as having an option, depending on the type of switch you use, to turn power off from both power packs.  This is where the insulated rail joiners come in-they allow you to break the layout into sections or "blocks". 
For insulated rail joiners, you can search in the store or online for Atlas Code 100 rail joiners as these will work with the Bachmann Code 100 EZ track.  To employ them where you want, you remove one metal joiner from the EZ track-be warned, this can prove to be sometimes difficult-and slip on the insulated rail joiner in its place.  Search on this Forum on the subject of removing rail joiners from EZ Track, tons of info to be had.  Feel free to ask further questions.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Piyer

I think you might find this website of use: http://www.building-your-model-railroad.com/model-railroad-wiring.html  -- a little way down the page it explains how to wire up your layout for twin cab DC operation.

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Jerrys HO

A design of your layout would be helpful also. I would not be of much help on DC control as others would BTW as I run DCC. If you have a Bachmann crossover on your layout you may be getting in a little over your head as they are intended for DCC layouts but with a lot of modifying can be used on DC control.
There are many websites and books to help along the way as well as most members here.
Piyer listed a good site to help but also check out books such as Atlas Basic wiring. Sometimes illustrations and the explanation accompanied with it are priceless.
Another good diagram ........
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g96D6zXj1IA/UVJhMhodOqI/AAAAAAAACMM/A3mo_V5xDKg/s1600/Dual-Cab-Control.jpg
As Brock noted Atlas insulated joiners work great but you can also cut your own gaps or leave a rail joiner out.
Good luck on your layout!

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on November 05, 2016, 11:45:16 AM
you can also cut your own gaps or leave a rail joiner out.

Absolutely!  Just am not sure based on the post, how much in the way of tools (Dremel) or experience, the OP has.  Not so in favor of leaving a joiner off as this may create a rail alignment problem between 2 sections of track.  With a cut gap, it is typically done somewhere along the rail on a section of track and everything is usually otherwise secured, limiting the potential for a misalignment problem.

I have posted this several times here before and always found this to be a terrific tutorial for DC Common Rail.  I have it saved in my Favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73o6g2zjaQ
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

With EZ track it does not usually pose a problem since they snap together and the rails are close together with as close to a gap that a dremel would do and if the track is secured with an adhesive there should be little chance if any for misalignment. I have done this for switched power sidings.
Leaving a joiner out may not be at the top of anyone's list including mine, just thought I would throw it out there. The plastic joiners by Atlas BTW are indeed not intended for strength but for isolation purposes. They do flex if the track being used is not secured to the layout.
A perfect isolation point would be to cut the rail somewhere between the ties so as the ties will hold the track in place.

jbrock27

I see your point about leaving out a joiner when using EZ track, even if not secured to sub-roadbed, but I would ask you keep in mind not everyone who reads this thread, may be using EZ track.  Also, that "strength" and "alignment" are nouns that have different meanings.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quotenot everyone who reads this thread, may be using EZ track.
I am so sorry I thought I was in the BACHMANN forum.

QuoteAlso, that "strength" and "alignment" are nouns that have different meanings
Here we go! JBROCK's English class is back in session. Since I have to clarify myself to you teacher  ;) I was meaning it would not likely to be STRONG enough to hold an ALIGNMENT on it's own.

Just remember the saying " SILENCE IS GOLDEN" ........ thanks TM203

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on November 05, 2016, 05:21:14 PM
I am so sorry I thought I was in the BACHMANN forum.

Why are you sorry?  Did you think you were someplace else?

Thanks for the further clarification and again for clarifying that plastic joiners are for isolation purposes.
Keep Calm and Carry On