News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wiring an ho crossover track

Started by wildduck, December 16, 2016, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildduck

I want to control the entire crossover piece with one controller.  Normally, I would connect the 2 "output" wires together and connect to the controller.  However, Bachman wires come with as a 3 wire with connector.  How can I do this?

Flare

The first thought that comes to my mind is splicing the wires together into one connector.

Jerrys HO

Your center wires connect together, the outer two have to be in sync so my suggestion is to do not solder the outer wires until you match the correct sequence up. I have done this to mine. You hurt anything by crossing up the outer wires until you find the right setup.

wildduck

Thanks Flare & Jerrys HO!  The cutting the wire and splicing was my first choice.  The third wire was the concern. I'm further thinking that if I maintain the wires in the same sequence from end to end, I should be AOK.  I will, of course, follow your advice to NOT solder wires until it has been fully tested.

Again...thanks

RAM

Three wires to me sounds like the power to the turnout motor.  One for one direction and the other for the other direction the third wire being the common.

Jerrys HO

Your correct Ram. The outer two wires control the direction and the center wire is the common. I have mine set this way as to not have to throw two switches separately.
Cutting and splicing is the only way I found. Bachmann could have wired it this way or supplied a jumper as I can not think of any reason you would want to throw one and not the other unless you are into derailments  ;D.
Maybe the Bachmann could "Pass Along The Suggestion" for the future  ;).