News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Molding defect on PCC motors

Started by Héctor, December 26, 2016, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Héctor

Dear People:

After bad performance on my EM-80C and PCC units I decided to dismount motors suspecting gears wear.

For my surprise gears were in perfect conditions.  The problem itself was a molding defect on right side motor block    :o

I tried to attach a photo showing Bachmann EM-80C motor, which is in fact the same used by the PCC tram, but is to heavy.   On photo clearly it is possible to see that host gear axes are not circular.   In fact they are ovoidal.

I wrote Bachmann, but no answer.  ???
I would like if anyone have had the same problem.

Do any of you have any idea to repair the motor block?   
The only solution I see to this problem is to obtain a new right side motor block replacemente.   Anyone has a PCC burned motor to sell me?

I want specially to restore the EM-80C, as this is optimal for those who have HO tram lines.   The EM-80C can negotiate raduis 10" without problem, and radius 8" derailing central pony wheels.
Another advantage of this vehicle is that keeps inside warehouses, and can clean portions of track where modern track cleaning equipments doesn't fit.
And...  ::)   The soft cleaning pad can be replaced by other made from abrasive materials, so changing pads you can make this track cleaning machine more versatile and effective.  ;D

About the PCC... I think I will put it for sale, advising the future purchaser about the motor deffect.  I will see to use anothe models for my tramway line.