News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann USRA Light 4-6-2

Started by MilwaukeeRoadfan261, December 25, 2016, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Hey Bach-Man,
I have a question regarding the tender of the new USRA Light 4-6-2. Does it use the same tender as the USRA Light 2-8-2 or is it a new tender? And if it is the same tender how could I get a spare tender chassis for the DCC Ready 2-8-2 with out buying a second engine?

richiy

Take a look at the tender diagrams. They look similar but different part numbers. I just looked under Product References.
Look through all the locos of interest in the Parts page. Lots of photos of the different tender parts.

richiy

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

That is what I had done cause I am looking at getting one of the new 4-6-2 and since I would want it with a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoder I had been curious as to whether or not it was the same tender chassis as the 2-8-2 and how to get a spare tender chassis so I wouldn't have to buy a complete 2-8-2 for a tender swap so I coupld fit the 4-6-2 with a Tsunami2 decoder.

J3a-614

The prototypes did use the same tender, and it's possible the same parts are used but with different numbers (drive belts for the Consolidation and the Russian Decapod being one example that I believe was discussed here). 

However, Bachmann for some reason has occasionally used different circuit boards in the tenders that were NOT interchangeable, and that may be your bigger problem.

What I would consider would be to get the engine and just replace or install my own decoder.  I think a lot of the decoders are plug-in jobs these days, with a standard plug.  If the engine has sound already, that will even save the fuss and bother of installing the speaker. 

Hopefully someone else on this forum can confirm or correct that.

the Bach-man

Dear 261,
The safe way to swap tenders is to take the circuit board from the tender you are replacing and install it in the new tender.
For some reason many were loco specific.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

richiy

That happened to me. The tender I got had sockets. The loco I wanted to use it with had sockets.
Some locos sets come with sockets under the loco cab. Some the sockets are on the front of the tender.
Some have two plugs hanging out of tender or loco.
Parts list sometimes show this but I did not look for this at the time.
Internal wiring on the tender can be different. Wiring is never shown.
After searching the HO forum, I found discussions of this issue.

richiy