News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New MEC 2-8-2 Steamer Not so fast

Started by plint, January 05, 2017, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

I just got the new Bachmann Maine Central 2-8-2 Steam loco.  Really nice looks and sounds.  Nice slow speed increasing steadily but never gets too quick, just a steady, nice speed at full throttle, with or WITHOUT any cars behind it.  Is this the norm with steamer models?  I like this and just wondering if it does go faster with a program adjustment.  I didn't see it in the manual but I just looked quickly.  I'd rather ask youz guys.
Thanks
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

richiy

Yes, they do go faster. Everyone has to fine tune a DCC loco. Not unusual at all.
What DCC system are you using?

The CV list is in the Parts, Service and Information page.

richiy

plint

I've got the Bachmann EZ Command system

jonathan

I have noticed the top speed is not up there with other models.  On the other hand, I don't want to drive my Mikes fast. They look nice and run well.  As you said, the sound is pretty nice as well.  At top speed the chuff rate is so fast, as it should be, just melds into a constant sound, as the prototype would have done at top speed. 

Anyway, I think what you are experiencing is normal.  The EZ command system doesn't have the ability to change what you are thinking about.  You'd need a more capable DCC system.

Regards,

Jonathan

plint

Thanks.  I really don't want it any faster.  I like the way it runs with the sound program.  It's just fast enough with my layout.  I was just curious if it could go faster.   I had a flashback to my youth when my Marx 666 would fly around the track and then fly off the track.   That won't happen with this loco!

West Bound

I have two 2-8-2's and they both run a little on the slow side as Jonathan said. I just received the new 4-6-2. It runs a little faster and I think the sound is better than the 2-8-2. The sound seems to have more bass, probably a better speaker.   John West

Len

MEC used the "Big Mickeys" to haul heavy freight over New England mountains. So tractive effort was a greater concern than speed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: West Bound on January 06, 2017, 07:38:17 PM
I have two 2-8-2's and they both run a little on the slow side as Jonathan said. I just received the new 4-6-2. It runs a little faster and I think the sound is better than the 2-8-2. The sound seems to have more bass, probably a better speaker.   John West

The 2-8-2 is generally a freight so would run at a slower speed, account smaller diameter wheels. The 4-6-2, at least in the USA, was generally considered a passenger engine and would therefore run faster, account larger diameter wheels.

4-6-2s in Canada were also frequently used on wayfreight service. 

Cheers

Roger T.

plint

Trainman203

Most model railroad locomotives have a top speed that is way too high anyway .  When these engines were in their prime, between 1917 and 1925 or so,  freight trains didnt run much faster than 40 or 50 mph.  Railroads began to feel truck competion in the mid 20s and needed to speed up the freight train speed.  The 2-8-2 firebox over a 2 wheel trailing truck couldn't  generate enough steam at those speeds, so Lima created the 2-8-4 with a bigger firebox over the new 4 wheel trailing truck, a design concept that probably extended steam's life an extra 15 years. The 2-8-4 could run close to passenger train speed in some cases, and occasionally some pulled passenger trains.

ebtnut

A general rule of thumb was that the top speed of a steamer was equal to the driver diameter in inches.  Ergo, a Mike with 63" drivers would max out at about 60 mph.  Speed limits with steam engines was a function of a number of factors, beginning with driver size.  Smaller drivers had to rotate faster to achieve high speeds, and they were limited in the type and amount of counterbalancing that could be installed.  Insufficient counterbalancing led to rail pounding because the reciprocating forces of the rods could actually bounce the tire off the railhead.  As noted by Trainman, the railroads moved away from the drag freight era towards high-speed service and loco designs changed.  Most modern Berkshires had 68" or 69" drivers that could achieve higher sustained speeds.  Many 4-8-4's were designed to be "dual-service", i.e., freight or passenger service.  They might have drivers in the 72" - 76" range.