screw and washer sizes for old time chassis

Started by Terry Toenges, March 17, 2017, 04:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Here's the situation:
I used an old time HO chassis under my On30 trolley conversion to tourist car. I want to light it.
I bought Athearn Genesis 70 ton prewired trucks to make it easier for me. The hole in the trucks was too small for the Bachmann bolster. I reamed the hole in the trucks so they fit over the bolster. They sit too far down on the bolster and the wheels rub the truss rods.
I can put washers on the bolster to raise it off the truck. Does anyone know what size inside diameter washer I need? I have some Kadee gray washers (#209) and the holes are much too small. I think those holes are 1/8". I'm wondering if a 3/16" hole would be big enough. Does anyone know?
If I use washers, I might need longer screws. The Bachmann screws work with the new trucks but I can't screw them all the way in. I'm worried that they might not be long enough when I start adding washers. Does anyone know what size screws those are if I have to buy longer ones?
I looked at Bachmann's product diagrams and they only list part numbers for screws, not sizes.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Have a drill gauge around, the kind with holes, that you can hold up and match to the hole, to give you an idea of the ID?  Then you can get sense a of what ID the washers you need to look for, should be.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Terry Toenges

Thanks. I have a digital caliper that I have to get batteries for before I can use it to measure. I don't know if I have a drill gauge. I was hoping someone from Bachmann could tell me what sizes they use. They've been making these old time cars for a long time.
This is it. The washer's inside hole needs to be as big as the hole in the truck because I have to put the washer between the truck and the body to raise the body a bit. The screw is very small diameter with a big head.

You can see the little screw hole so the screw has to be that size.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Quote from: Terry Toenges on March 18, 2017, 01:01:36 AM
Thanks. I was hoping someone from Bachmann could tell me what sizes they use.

You're welcome. :) 

Best of luck with that, given how infrequently those kinds of questions are answered by any of the Administrators here. I can tell you one thing though that they are very adept at....
Keep Calm and Carry On

Terry Toenges

Mission accomplished. For anyone's future reference - I found the screws and washers that work at Lowe's.
Between the truck and the frame, I used #8s brass flat washers. Between the screw and the truck, I used #4s brass flat washers. For screws, I used #2 x 3/8" brass screws. It worked out great with the added benefit of adding a little more weight and the coupler heights now match up almost perfect with my other On30 cars.
Now, I have to figure out plugs for the wiring so I can disconnect the wires. Do I put a plug on where the lights are or a plug under the frame. I want to be able to get to the interior in case the tourists come loose or if I want to change them. I have a couple of 2 pin white plugs and sockets with wires but they are kind of big. I think they are Miniatronics.

Feel like a Mogul.