News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Sound Value E7

Started by jonathan, April 10, 2017, 07:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The sound value E7 has turned out to be a really nice locomotive.  What follows are my additions to the detailing, to give it a little wow factor... I hope.

Here the E7 as purchased:

I programmed a new address for it and increased the volume of the horn just a little.

The shell comes off with four screws between the trucks and fuel tanks.

There is no crew, so I cut down a couple of conductors (got too many of them anyway).  Honestly, it's hard to see inside.  One could probably use a grandma with a sack of groceries and get away with it.

Here's the back with speaker enclosure:

You can see the frame is nearly a solid chunk of metal. It's quite heavy.

I've installed kadees; a scale head in front and regular size in back.  

The crew is mounted with pins drilled through the torso's.  I also painted the back wall a minty green which seems about right.

The couplers, trucks and fuel tanks are weathered a bit.  

In this photo you can also see one of the SMDs that light the number boards:

That's about all that's needed for the frame.

Next comes work on the shell.  Will post some more pix as I make progress.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

You might be able to cut a rectangular hole in the 'dash board' to mount an SMD to simulate 'panel lights' to make the crew a bit easier to see.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Not a bad idea, Len.  I'll check out the PCB to see if I can wire in easily. Thanks.

Finished the cut lever this morning.  Paint is wet and nothing is weathered yet, so paint doesn't match:

Also drilled holes for the lift rings... then I ran out of lift rings.  Only had 3 left:

More rings are winging their way here.

The assembly joint must be using a new kind of adhesive.  I cannot, for the life of me, get the window glazing to pop out.  It will be a little more difficult to complete the project, if I have to work around the glazing.  There are worse things... I guess.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

I'm more of a steam fan, but DAMN your work is amazing, and makes me consider diesel!

James in FL

Looking good Jonathan,

FWIW, I've had success breaking the glue bond (CA) on plastic kits by freezing the kit overnight.

jonathan

OK, this locomotive now has eyebrows, sideburns (or whatever you call the grabs behind the eyebrows), ladder grabs, pilot grabs, cut lever, and hoses:

You can see a few water spots leftover from washing.  I'll get rid of those.  

Just waiting the post to deliver some eye bolts.  I'll be masking off the windows in the meantime, in preparation for weathering. I chickened out on the freezer idea.  Sorry James.

I'm considering a raised B&O emblem for the front, which would be correct, but may not look as nice as the stamped emblem.  I usually save those for the steamers.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

This is as far as I can get, until the eyebolts arrive:

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Looks great as always. . .got me thinking of diesels a bit myself.

And speak of the devil!  Look what just turned  up. . .though in a bit of an earlier configuration, without the grabs over the windows or the ladder rests, looking very much as delivered.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/387701/

jonathan

Thanks!  

Yep, that's the loco Bachmann must have used as their go-by.  I downloaded as many E7 photos as I could find, and decided to go with a later configuration... with the extra grabs and such. Figured #74 must have gotten them like all the others.

Not all the E7s had that extra plate on the nose with the loco number... of course #74 did.  So, I'm considering it.

By the way, there is another steam manufacturer that just announced a release of the J3a-614 in HO scale.  It's a hybrid model (shells are brass... in case you hadn't noticed.  ;)  ... Oh, all 5 versions will be released.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Jonathan.........

As always, man, your work is outstanding. Clean, precise and accurate.

I think I have said before, that while I may not be a fan of the subjects you are modelling, I am most certainly a fan of your skills.

The weathering on this one is all powders I assume? Or is there some airbrush work in there too?

BTW....check your PM's.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid!

I'm pretty much a powder guy anymore.  I used to do a lot of dry brushing, but I like being able to wash off what doesn't work the first time.

Get out of that dragster and show us some of your great modeling.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

The lift rings finally arrived. It takes 30 rings to complete this locomotive:

Happy Easter! by the way.  For those of us of a particular persuasion, H. I. R.

Now, if you'll allow me to prattle on for a moment, I got some other bargains at the train show last weekend.

I picked up a 2nd sound value S-2, so I can double-head.  Instead of working hard, to copy a prototype, I had a little fun with this one.  

Went crazy with the yellow paint, on the grabs, and cut levers:

I added crew figures, 8 drop grabs, weathered Kadees, and air hoses.  Also removed two windows, as before, to let a little more sound out:

Next:

My father's hobby was to rebuild John Deere tractors, particularly the B series.  At 80, he can't play with real tractors anymore. I did want a reminder of his hobby, so I put a couple of those Athearn models on a flat car.  Used brass chain and a little white glue to hold 'em down:

Which leads to my last grab, a factory second backdrop for 5 bucks.  It completed a scene on the east end of my layout (roundhouse is on the west end).  To finish-up, here are a few shots of the background that is behind the photos above:

That should clear my desk for now.  Time for a little spring cleaning.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

I'm liking it!

The "off road" S-2 is a little funky.....lol.

I really like the pasture scene. Are the tree armatures those WS twisty ones?

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid.  Yep. They're the twisty ones.

Regards,

Jonathan