News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Drive Tires on Locos

Started by gsjcas, December 02, 2007, 10:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

Hello........New Member here...(Trainman)...I have just purchased two beautifull Engines for my Empire......One is a  2-6-6-2 .....and the other is a 4_8-4..... First question.....Do these engines have Driver tires......& if not Do they need them....Is it recommended to install them on these engines.....First time using this service......Trainman   :) :) :)

Franz T

No, these locos do not have traction tires. T 4-8-4 pulls quite well, unfortunately the same cannot be said of the 2-6-6-2. While it is a beautifully detailed and well-running engine, it is a poor puller. So yes it certainly can use traction tires, unfortunately unless you have the equipment and skill to machine grooves in tne drivers to hold the tires, you can not install any.
To learn more than you ever really wanted to know about any N-scale engine, try this web site: http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/locos.html

HTH

Franz T

gsjcas

Franz......WOW...Thank you for that EXCELLENT & FAST response.....That web site is Great to say the least.......I am thrilled with my engines....They run fine with no upgrades (all flat)...and they only run over Peco switches....I had a small problem with Atlas switches so they are gone.....Thank you so much for your info.........I am having a ball with my "Fantasy Island" Empire........This site is great.......Thank you again..(Trainman)

Franz T

You're welcome.
If you run on a flat layout, you really should have no problems. I have 2 of the 2-6-6-2's and my steepest grade is 1% on the mainline. LifeLike (now Walthers) also makes a beautiful 2-8-8-2 which does not pull quite as well as it should.... :(

Williamson

I have a Bmann 2-6-6-2, it pulled 25 MT cars on flat track (it is currently disassembled - I am converting it into an N&W Z1b).

My LL 2-8-8-2 will pull 29 MT boxcars up a 2% grade (guess I got lucky on this one!) ;D

Franz T

Don't get me wrong, the LL will pull 20-25 cars, it's just that I was hoping to run a 50 car string of hoppers behind an articulated.... ;D ;D
On the other hand there are The Model Power steamers - good looking models , but won't pull squat. I have a 4-6-2 that will not pull 4 heavyweights up a 1% grade. I replaced to stock trucks on the HW's with MT buckeye trucks, but that did not help much. I understand they sell them with traction tires now. :(

gsjcas

Hi Guys....It's "Trainman" back.....Thank you for all your input.....I just purchased another Bachman 2-6-6-2...and I am scratch building a log train on flats....I am working on 9 to 12 cars...and they are coming out pretty nice.....I am anticipating my 2-6-6-2s pulling this train......The cars are as I said Scratch built...and the "lumber" is real. From as bush on my front lawn....really neat....it looks just like the real thing, especially once I weather them.....Love the site ....keep the comments coming......Good luck to all, Happy Railroading...and oh yeah....Merry Christmas , and Happy Holidays to all......Trainman