Metal Rail Joiner Problem and Portable Scenery

Started by steveeusd, December 05, 2007, 12:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello Everyone--

I hope this is not redundant, so please bear with me as I ask.  As all who use HO E-Z track know, sometimes (may be more often than we want) connecting sections can be a real pain in the butt for a variety of reasons.   For me at least, misaligment of metal rail joiners are the biggest offenders.  I know other manufacturers have similar track that may be easier to connect (e.g., LifeLike and Kato), but their renditions have limited track options, don't look as good as EZ track, or are very expensive.  Some ideas I have thought of include using duct tape under the connections of track sections (e.g., 2 curved sections), buying long sections of track, and/or constructing templates of cardboard or hardboard. 

But, I still need to connect many sections that cannot be secured.  I run trains on temporary basis: set up the track on the floor and tear it down afterwards.  Besides, I like the idea of changing the track plan on the fly.  I know, I know, this will not sit well with some, but that's the way I run HO trains in my apartment.

So... any ideas on speeding up the connection process and/or ensuring the metal joiners/track ends remain in better alignment?

ALSO, any ideas for portable scenery (landscape, trees, backdrops, flexible street material that can be set up and broken down quickly)?  I got some good ideas from Bachmann's first book on EZ track, but would like to see what else is out there.

Thank you,

Steve

tommy4u2

My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

SteamGene

Depending on your storage space, you might want to keep quarter curves together.  Another thing to do, which would be inexpensive, is to buy new joiners and replace the ones that get misshapen.  When you assemble the track, keep your eye on the track joiners, not the roadbed clips.  Make sure that each section has a joiner, and then bring the two sections together angled slightly up, which will force the track into the joiner.  As the track slides together, so does the roadbed. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"