News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Uncoupling and Switching

Started by Les, December 06, 2007, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

What is the secret to uncoupling cars for switching purposes?  Is this done manually or is there another method used for uncoupling?  Will appreciate any help and answers. ???

SteamGene

Are you using horn hook or knuckle couplers? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Les

Gene:  Using knuckle couplers - thank you.  Les

Jim Banner

Some use Kadee magnets between the rails and some use Kadee magnets under the rails.  Others who like to uncouple anywhere use a kabob skewer to uncouple - pointy end between the coupler jaws and rotate clockwise.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

And lots use an 0-5-0 to raise one car just a little and then set it back, uncoupled, on the tracks. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

gbradley

An 0-5-0 huh????????? had to think about that for a minute, then I realized I had two of them. Hilarious!!!!!!!! ;D

SteamGene

It's a real 4-4-0 in model railroading.  Even people who only run d------ refer to the 0-5-0. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jim Banner

Getting a bit off topic, but some years ago, a model railroading buddy had his 70th birthday.  Just for laughs, I built him an 0-7-0 locomotive.  It has 3 drivers on one side and 4 on the other.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

guslcp

Hi...I use a penlight with a steel rod attached to it and angled a bit on the free end.  I shine the light and open one of the "air hoses" ....Uncoupled..!!