News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler question

Started by jrwfrnkln, December 12, 2007, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrwfrnkln

It's Christman again and once again I am setting up my train for the grandchildren and once again, with new Bachmann equipment and a question.  Last year I was very happy with my new easytrack system once you posters helped me with a swith problem.

This year it is an unexpected problem with the couplers on a new Bachmann (I bought Bachmann since I was so happy with the track) engine which, to my surprise, is incompatable with my 30+ year old rolling stock (Tyco and AHM with horn hook (?) couplers).

I would like to change the couplers on the engine (have schematic, screw visible, etc.) rather than on a dozen or so cars.  Can you recommend the correct horn hook couplers which will be compatable with my rolling stock and work on the new Bachmann engine.  Thanks for your help.  I along with my grandchildren are very appreciative.

Jim Banner

You might find it easier to make an adapter car by replacing the coupler on one end of one car.  Then you could keep this car right behind the locomotive.  If you add new cars in the future, just put them between the locomotive and your adapter car.  You local hobby shop should have the coupler you need to do this.  One very good brand is Kadee, who makes knuckle type couplers for just about any application.  Finding an X2f (old style) coupler to fit you locomotive may be difficult or impossible.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Conrail Quality

Finding X2F couplers is not as difficult as one would think. Athearn still makes them, as of a few months ago when I bought some from my LHS(long story).  Another option is IHC's Magic-Mate couplers, which claim to work with both styles. I have never tested these, so I don't know for certain if they work the way they claim.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

Any horn hook should work, but Jim's solution is the best.  As a general rule, it's easier to change the coupler of a car than a locomotive. 
If you have 30 year old cars, you might want t clean their wheels and the track before running.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

Quote from: Conrail Quality on December 12, 2007, 09:21:11 PM
Finding X2F couplers is not as difficult as one would think. Athearn still makes them, as of a few months ago when I bought some from my LHS(long story).  Another option is IHC's Magic-Mate couplers, which claim to work with both styles. I have never tested these, so I don't know for certain if they work the way they claim.

The IHC couplers work as they're suppsed to, but uncoupling has to be done manually (no magnets).
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||