News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Steam locomotive showing its teeth going through the rough flood caused by the heaviest rain of the season Boston 1915 photo by Leslie Jones

WoundedBear

A steam engine proceeds through a flooded Greenville, MS during the Great Mississippi flood of 1927

Len

Seeing all those flood pictures reminds me of something I've always been curious about. Don't they have to worry about metal fractures, or warping, if cold flood water hits really hot metal??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

Len they don't go through floods that get up to the firebox.  If they did it would put the fire out and they would go dead.  I would think that they did not go through flowing water.  With the end of steam, that put an end of going through flood water over an inch or so deep.

Trainman203

My long deceased uncle was a T&NO fireman in the 1920s.  He was on one of the last trains out of Baton Rouge La. to Lafayette La. on the Atchafalya Basin line that was largely washed out in the great 1927 Mississippi River flood.  He said the water was close to the driver axles and was running pretty hard.  They were trying to save set out cars at first but gave up.  People were climbing onto the train out of  boats. 

Some of that line can still be seen today in the form of concrete bridge piers and rotted out trestle piles during low water in the swamp in August.