News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Those are pretty standard oil bunker Vanderbilt tenders behind those 2-10-2's in the pictures.  One thing in the photos that was not SP standard was the pilot ladders.  For some reason the SP and subsidiaries preferred  sheet metal steps suspended from the running boards.  I don't think the ladders lasted very long. 

As best I know, none of the west coast SP  2-10-2's survived, but two T&NO ones did in Texas in parks, and one may have been originally a prosperity special engine. 

RAM

The SP used coal on the El Pasa- Tucmcari line.  Remember the Conventional 2-8-8-4 articulated locomotive.They were converted to oil-burning about 1950

Trainman203

I remember the 2-8-8-4 very well. That particular coal usage was a WW II oil saving measure.  Those engines were used other places in New Mexico. I remember in 1988 seeing a still standing concrete coaling tower somewhere out there  while riding the Sunset Limited.

SP burned coal until right after 1900 is my understanding, the T&NO a little later.  All coinciding with discover of local oil fields and nearby oil having much lower transportation cost than remotely located coal.

RAM

when the usra  took over the railroad in ww1. They built some concrete coaling tower in Okla on the Santa Fe and the Katy.  They were never used, because both lines used oil for fuels.  Both lines did have sections where they used coal.

WoundedBear

The locomotive made its initial run on the first six miles of track of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Chartered in 1827, the same year that the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was incorporated, the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company steamed out of Charleston. The new line was designed to make Charleston competitive with Savannah, Georgia, for the cotton trade.

Over the next three years the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company became, for a time, the world's longest railway line. The company was a predecessor of J. P. Morgan's Southern Railway Company, which grew out of the realignment of southern railways following the American Civil War.