News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez-mate couplers

Started by B_Starkey, December 12, 2007, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_Starkey

i have an 8' x 8' layout with 4 switches. i am using the ez-mate couplers with atlas code 100 track, how would i go about un-coupling the cars?

Jim Banner

EZ-Mate couplers are designed to work with Kadee couplers.  Use a Kadee magnet, either the kind that fits between the rails or the kind that fits under the track.  These are available at any good hobby shop.

A second option is to use a hand-held uncoupler such as the one made by RIX.  Take a look at http://www.rixproducts.com/6280014.htm

A third option is a kabob skewer.  Just stick the pointy end between the jaws and twist clockwise.  It takes a bit of practice, but these are cheap and can be used anywhere on the layout.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

B_Starkey

i never knew that the kadee couplers were that similar to the ez-mate. i will have to give it a try, thanks

SteamGene

Almost as realistic as a kabob skewer is an 0-5-0 coming out of the sky, lifting the end of one car and then setting the uncoupled car back on the tracks. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

B_Starkey

what is a 0-5-0? i never heard that term before

kevin2083

here's a hint- you have two of them
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

tomcat623

Woody Elmore

" i never knew that the kadee couplers were that similar to the ez-mate. i will have to give it a try, thanks "

The Kadee Company has been around for at least fifty years. The others came on the market when the Kadee patent expired. So it is proper to say that ez-mate and McHenrys are similar to Kadees. They are similar  the same way a KIA automobile is similar to a Lexus.

B_Starkey

my first train had the old style horn hook coupler, so the ez-mates were something i never seen before. when i uncoupled the horn hook i used a paper clip, due to the fact that my old layout was only 4'x6'. my new layout is 8'x8'. i cant reach the entire layout from one location. so i think i would probally need something remote.

Woody Elmore

There are uncoupling magnets which are made just for this purpose. Kadee sells several kinds.

jsmvmd

Dear Gene,

I'll second Tomcat on that one. It is really good!

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas!

Jack