News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for subway-elevated trains.

Started by Frankford el car, December 12, 2007, 12:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankford el car

Mr. Bach Man;                                                                                                 

I have a large roster of subway-elevated trains, that I'd like to add sound to. Since the main sounds they have in common with steam and diesels are whistle or air horn, coupling, air compressor, and wheel squeal on tight curves, is it possible to use a DCC decoder meant for steam or diesels, while cutting out the diesel prime mover, or steam "chuff"? For cost considerations, I'd like to use Bachmann decoders, due to the size of my car roster.
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

the Bach-man

Dear Frankford,
Yes. In fact, I have a friend who does exactly that on his traction layout. However, we don't sell our sound decoders- you'll have to contact Soundtraxx.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Woody Elmore

Here in NYC the train cars have compressors that turn on and off.  Don't forget the clickity-clack as the wheels go over the joints in the rails.

There are also unintelligible announcements broadcast in the stations and the trains here in NY have a cute little "ding-dong" when the doors close.

The racket the el trains in Queens make is deafening and I would think it would be hard to duplicate (as would be all the rust, dust and trash that often rains down as the trains go by.)

Good Luck!

Frankford el car

Woody;
The "newest" el' cars that I have, are the Proto 1000 R-17's, and R-21's, dating from 1955-thru-57. So the station announcements and the "doorbell" chimes (also used on the current cars here in Philadelphia) would not apply. The wheelnoise come's naturally on my el', as it is built mostly open deck, like the IRT, though I also have a solid deck section, like the el' here in Philly. No "click-clack" at rail joints, as I've long ago gone to "welded rail" (all rail joints soldered and ground smooth), to eliminate electrical dead spots.

I did however, come up with a method (inadvertantly) of duplicating wheelnoise in my subway. Unlike much of the IRT, the subway tracks in Philly are laid directly on concrete, without stone ballast (crossties bolted to the tunnel floor). I duplicated this by laying the track directly on the plywood base of my layout, and built the downtown buildings and streets raised above. The layout framing act's as a "sound box" much like a guitar or violin, and magnify's the wheelnoise. With a four, five, or six-car train, it sound's quite authentic.
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

r.cprmier

Woody;
Wasn't it Bill Cosby who said they hire winos for that job of announcer?  Works for me...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

Winos with no teeth. Actually, the last time I rode the subway in the city (this June) the announcements weren't all that bad. The problem is the poor quality speakers and their placement in the stations.

The on-train announcements depend on the conductors. Some are clear as a bell, others unintelligible. Some conductors tell jokes and stories.

One problem is that the announcements are in English and, if the train I was on is an indication, announcements need to be done in about five languages.

r.cprmier

One problem is that the announcements are in English and, if the train I was on is an indication, announcements need to be done in about five languages.

Hey baby;  You want bi-lingual?  Go to Quebec!  I am sick of this crap!  If you come here, learn the language~It happens to be the King's English!  I don't give a hank what happens in Upper Slobovia!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

Come to vote here in New York State. Depending on the neighborhood ballots are available in Spanish, Chinese, Korean or Haitian Creole (as are state High School exams).

A friend, born and raised in the USA, owns a beach concession  near Coney Islandthat's been in the family for many years. When he went to the NYC office to renew his license the clerk demanded his Green Card or proof that he was born in the USA. She wasn't even swayed by his Nassau County Detective's badge!!

People need to reread Teddy Roosevelt's 1907 speech about immigration and the "polyglot roominghouse" that america can become.

I'll get off the soap box now. By the way, although NYC transit has signage in several languages, all announcements are made in what passes for English.