News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Streamlined K4 4-6-2 DCC

Started by infamouselijah, November 25, 2018, 08:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infamouselijah

I just saw the K4 and was interested, but I run DC only. Does this locomotive run on DC as well as DCC? If not, is it easy to convert to DC, and if so, how would that be done?

Flare

If you're referring to the upcoming one in Bachmann's Webstore, It has a 'Dual Mode' decoder, which works in DC mode and DCC mode.

Rick Abramson

I have the ACS-64 and a DC layout. The engine ran terrible on DC. I hardwired the motor directly to the trucks and it runs beautifully. I have a streamlined K4 on order too. Hope I don't have the same problem.

rich1998

Quote from: infamouselijah on November 25, 2018, 08:03:36 PM
I just saw the K4 and was interested, but I run DC only. Does this locomotive run on DC as well as DCC? If not, is it easy to convert to DC, and if so, how would that be done?

I guess this is is the loco you are talking about. It would be better to run it with DCC, The microprocessor on the decoder requires five volts to just wake up and the loco requires a little more to begin moving. About 7.5 volts. You will miss some of the sound features using DC from what I see.
There is a possibility the decoder can be unplugged and a DC adapter plugged in. A few years ago I bought a 4-6-0 with onboard sound with an adapter that allowed me to do that but that was a waste of money so I ran it on DCC.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/StreamlinedK4QuickStartGuide.pdf

Rich

Rick Abramson

I personally find the sounds' annoying. Then again, its a matter of personal choice.

Trainman203

To everyone's tastes.  To me, running a silent engine is like pushing a corpse around.