News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco derailing

Started by Emmons22, May 23, 2019, 02:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emmons22

I have a new 2-6-0 Mogul loco.  It derails frequently, (my General 4-4-0) does not.  I noticed the tender slants to the left and does not align behind the loco even when all wheels are properly on track. When it derails, it jumps off track on the left side.  Do need to return the loco for another or can this one be repaired.  The loco has not fallen off the table to the floor, it just derails at the point and remains up-right.

Larry

rich1998

Welcome.

Which 2-6-0? There are two versions. The Alco and a DC version. I am suspecting the Alco as the DC tender version is a simple setup.
How does the tender sit by itself?
I have the 4-4-0 and some 4-6-0's with a similar tender.

Rich

rich1998

Ok, guesstamating that it is the Alco. The DC version is very simple.

I see an eight pin connector in the Bachmann Parts list with probably seven wires on it from the tender and they are not routed correctly and causing the tender to lean to one side.
This connector plugs into a receptacle in the loco.

Rich

dragonbusa

Does it derail at the same place on your lay out every time? or random spots around the layout?

jonathan

Emmons,

Not being able to see your loco in action, I will address typical malfunctions

On brand new steam locos:

The tender/loco wire connection tends to be a bit stiff, and requires a bit of a breaking in period.  It is common for tender derailments due to stiff wires.

Typical fixes are:

adding weight to the front portion of the tender. You can take the tender shell off, add some weight somewhere inside the shell in the front portion, and put the shell back on; or

you can manipulate the tender wire so they don't add resistance to the drawbar.  You have to be careful with adjusting the connecting wires.  Too much manipulation to lead to broken wires.

I have a suspicion that you don't have any factory defect leading to derailments.  I little tweaking is probably all you need.  Again, this is typical of most new steam locomotives.  My two cents.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I have 50-something Bachmann steam engines and 10 by others.  Every one of them had the stiff wire thing pushing the tender to one side.  All needed the wire adjustments to keep the tender on the rail at switch frogs.

rich1998

Emmons22

If you need to post a photo, look down to the General Questions forum on how to post a photo.
You can use You Tube for videos.

Rich