News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Couplers - Kadee ... Bachmann?

Started by lyncch00, December 19, 2007, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyncch00

Hi,  Im new to the forum and model railroading.  I have a simple question that is way below the level of expertise I've been reading on this website.  My spectrum HO train set I purchased last year frequently uncouples.  I've added lots of track to the kit.  Instead of around the tree for the holiday I'm running around the living room.  The family loves it.  I've replaced all the couplings with new Bachmann couplings.  It helped some.  Should I have gone with Kadee?  Thanks and I am enjoying this website.

SteamGene

The rule of thumb is that when you replace, replace with Kadees.  Do you have a level layout?  If you have a hill and the cars uncouple as it approaches or departs the hill, or at the top of the hill, your transition is too sudden. 
If you have a fairly short train and the new Bachmann's have the metal spring to keep the knuckle closed, they should work fine. 
But when in doubt, replace with Kadees.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Kadee's usually survive much longer being made of metal instead of plastic. Kadee's contain a copper or brass spring instead of  a plastic spring and can take a much longer train(don't bother, you'd spend as much on rolling stock as you would on a new automobile if you were to try this)without breaking than the Bachmann ones. You will get more life from a Kadee but as long as you are careful, Bachmann's should hold up okay.
Alex

Atlantic Central

lyncch00,

Kadee couplers are metal, and are stronger and more precisely manufactured than any of the plastic couplers used by the train manufacturers.

Kadee #148 will fit most of your Bachmann models with little or no ajustment.

You may also want to check the level and eveness of your track/track joints as this can be a major cause of unwanted uncoupling with sectional track.

Sheldon

lyncch00

Thank you all for the assist.  That was more information than I rec'd from the hobby shop! I'm on it.  Additionally my set up does contain very long passenger cars.  Perhaps I should remove the "S" turns or try shorter rolling stock.  That gives me an excuse to add to my new hobbie.  Thanks again.   

Guilford Guy

If you buy larger curve radii such as 24" 26" or 28" radii your equipment should track much better over that without derailing.
Alex

SteamGene

S curves without a straight piece are deadly on long cars. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bevernie

How do you determine the radii on a piece of track?
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                                                             Ernie

Quote from: Guilford Guy on December 19, 2007, 11:11:19 PM
If you buy larger curve radii such as 24" 26" or 28" radii your equipment should track much better over that without derailing.
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Guilford Guy

The length from the center of a circle of track to the point which is the exact center of the section of the track.

Alex